Tune-up and Watson Subscriber for SNES Networking Notifications RRS feed

• Question

• Over the last couple of days I have been attempting to have Watson Subscriber for SNES Network Notifications turned on in Windows Live OneCare Tune-up Change startup settings.  It has been turned off since 1/26/08, and I wish to have it started up again.  When I try to start it up, I get an error that states "There was an error updating the program settings.  Please try again.  If the problem continues, contact Help Center."  I have contacted the Help Center, but for some reason the request for support did not go through, so I am here.

Anyone have any ideas as to why I am getting this message? (the error updating the program settings)  Any suggestions?  Should I simply go without Watson Subscriber for SNES Network Notifications?

Thanks for the advice, if any!  =)

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• I guess my first question is how did it get turned off in the startup settings? I don't see that listed in my startup programs, so I'm not sure what it actually is.

-steve

Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:31 PM
  • "I guess my first question is how did it get turned off in the startup settings? I don't see that listed in my startup programs, so I'm not sure what it actually is.

-steve"

Once I installed OneCare I started looking around the programs and features... I got to startup settings and saw the Watson Subscriber program and did not recognize it, so I Disabled it.  Things were fine for a couple of days, then all heck broke loose and OneCare decided that it did not like having Watson disabled and began giving me all sorts of messages.  So I went back into startup settings and Enabled it again, once I clicked on the OK button, I got an error saying that OneCare could not restart (enable) Watson and would discontinue.  This happened many times (around a total of 10 times) before I tried the Help...and could not get an answer there (everything is all "What is OneCare?", and activation issues, but nothing about Fixing permission settings or anything like that.

I have no idea what Watson Subscriber for SNES Networking Notifications is...now I'm not so sure I really care, because this is really lowering my opinion about OneCare.

I think I will remove OneCare and all of the other junk that I had to download to install OneCare, such as Windows Live Mail, Messenger, Write, and Toolbar...which ill save me about 200MB of disk space... I think I am doing fine with my AntiVirus program and Windows Firewall...along with my anti-spyware program and Windows Defragment, along with many other Utilities.

Kevin

Saturday, February 2, 2008 5:33 AM
  • I'm sorry that you have decided to remove OneCare. Note that none of the other programs you listed are required in order to run OneCare. They are all free programs from http://get.live.com

If you wish to pursue the Watson service, which I suspect is required for error reporting and may be started as a service, please contact OneCare support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 5:34 PM