none
Please Fix My E-mail Address! RRS feed

• Question

• I've been on the forums for years and I'd like to keep my account but update my e-mail address so I can be notified of replies to posts I've subscribed to.  It is ridiculous that I cannot be notified when there is a new post.

How can I fix my login to work with a new address... supply a different e-mail for alerts, or transfer my account information.  I've been waiting years to do this, and I keep missing replies to posts.  I do not have the old address anymore.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:08 PM

Answers

• If you do not have the 'old address anymore' I assume you mean you cannot log into live.com with those old credentials. We don't have a way to transfer a user's profile from one to another. The profile team has talked about looking into that but I do not know of any time line etc. There are issues to address when thinking about doing this around ensuring the user asking for the change is really both of the users involved in the request, this is just one of the reasons this is not a super easy thing to do.

Given this, realize your email address can be any email address you want for the alerts functionality. You need to go to your settings page to include whatever email you want to use for alerts. More information can be found here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/52c75e6b-adf9-41f5-a61a-88ce9c91f799  So you could have a live id username/email  be completely different than the email you want forum notifications sent to.

Hope this helps.

Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Alan M_ Friday, January 21, 2011 3:43 PM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 2:09 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• If you do not have the 'old address anymore' I assume you mean you cannot log into live.com with those old credentials. We don't have a way to transfer a user's profile from one to another. The profile team has talked about looking into that but I do not know of any time line etc. There are issues to address when thinking about doing this around ensuring the user asking for the change is really both of the users involved in the request, this is just one of the reasons this is not a super easy thing to do.

Given this, realize your email address can be any email address you want for the alerts functionality. You need to go to your settings page to include whatever email you want to use for alerts. More information can be found here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/52c75e6b-adf9-41f5-a61a-88ce9c91f799  So you could have a live id username/email  be completely different than the email you want forum notifications sent to.

Hope this helps.

Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Alan M_ Friday, January 21, 2011 3:43 PM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 2:09 AM
    Answerer
  • I mean that my login for the forums in an e-mail with the comcast.net domain from some other account that got linked into the forums long ago.  I do not have that e-mail account anymore, but I want alerts.  I will look at your link.

I can still login, make posts, etc.  But the alerts get sent to some e-mail account that I no longer have access to or does not exist.

Friday, January 21, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Wow this is great news... I can finally switch my e-mail for alerts.  I just did, I guess I did not notice the Yellow box before.  It seems like this is a relatively new change since Sept.   I've been waiting years for this.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:43 PM