none
Set visual studio 2017 error messages to english

Question

• My windows 10 is set up to german language. I installed VS 2017 in english. But when debugging I get the error messages in german. Which is not so helpful for me when developing. I also have no .NET Framework (German) installed.

So how to set the error messages to be shown in english?

Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Arianit K,

How did you set the language in your VS settings?

Tools->Options->Environment->International settings, please make sure that you really set it as English.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 26, 2018 1:12 AM
  • It is in english. Also there is no .Net german framework installed in my machine
    Friday, October 26, 2018 4:20 PM
  • Are you referring to exception messages like this one?
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in CSUnhandledExceptionObject.exe
    Der Wert liegt außerhalb des erwarteten Bereichs.
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in CSUnhandledExceptionObject.exe
    Value does not fall within the expected range.
    E.g. for c# I'd try to to add something like
    #if DEBUG
                Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = new CultureInfo("en-US");
    #endif

to the code
    or
    set 'Language' to English in 'Settings' ('Einstellungen') - though this affects the whole system!

Which may lead to undesirable effects.
    You would probably need to adapt 'Date/Time' 'Number Formats'  in 'Region' ...

With kind regards  
    Saturday, October 27, 2018 10:08 AM
  • Thank you for your help but none of the scenarios fulfills my need! The workaroung the line of code also overrides the loclization settings of the application if I don't put it in the right place (if debug). And as you said, changing the language of the system is a no go!

• Edited by Arianit K Saturday, October 27, 2018 4:26 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2018 3:52 PM
  • i have the similar problem, but in Russian language if it possible

• Edited by maxmayer12 Saturday, October 27, 2018 4:17 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2018 4:15 PM
  • Thanks for your friendly response, Arianit K.

As maxmayer12 said that he also got the similar issue in his side. 

My suggestion is that you could report this issue to the product team directly.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/how-to-report-a-problem-with-visual-studio-2017?view=vs-2017

Like MaybeCompletelyW's suggestion, I also suggest you use the same English Environment in your windows and VS IDE. Actually I remember I got the similar issue in my English VS IDE, but I use a VS extension which use other Language in VS, and the output window for this extension also gets the  garbled issue. So I just use the same language extension now.

Anyway, if you submit it, you could share the link here, so other members who get the same issue could help you vote it.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 29, 2018 2:39 AM
  • I will open the issue and post the link here. But I can't change the language of my system because of the localization features, I don't want to "mess" things up, if you understand.
    Monday, October 29, 2018 5:39 PM
  • Monday, October 29, 2018 5:48 PM
  • Vote+1

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 1:28 AM