motion blur in video stitching RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi guys,

I was playing w/ the video panorama feature today, http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=a35bfce9-accf-44d5-b882-b36098e15a85. Handy feature for action scenes! I rotated the video on a nodal ninja pan head so I know that there were frames w/ no blur in many of the blurry areas. Ice chose to stitch frames where the camera was moving and causing motion blur. I was wondering if there is another blending algo we could choose so it only selected sharp pixels when there are sharp pixels available for that overlap area? Or maybe when you track the location you can choose frames to stitch that are more or less still.

Another issue was that after I selected areas that I wanted to keep when scrubbing the video I wanted to see the final render and then return to this function to make further changes, I couldn't see how to do that without rerunning the full set.

In any case I was pretty pleased at how quickly this went together.

Monday, October 31, 2011 12:48 AM

All replies

• Hello xRez,

Thanks for this feedback.  

The video stitcher is supposedly measuring frame blur when choosing frames to stitch. It's intended to work as follows: while tracking camera motion - every time the camera moves 1/3 of a frame width then we choose the frame during that 1/3 move that was the "sharpest".  It does look like ICE choose some blurred frames here, so not sure where things went wrong.  If you share the video, we can take a look.

I agree that the current workflow is a bit busted.  We need to fix this in a future update so that you can iterate on the selection more easily.

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:28 AM