Connecting to folder from PC without connector software RRS feed

• Question

• I want to access a folder on WHS from a Windows 7 Pro laptop.  I don't want to install the connector software.

I map a drive to a folder on WHS - \\<server name>\Photos, then enter a User name and Password that I know are valid on the WHS.  I created the user on the server using RDC.  When you hit enter, there is a slight delay and then the login screen just reappears.  Why does this not work?

Monday, November 8, 2010 4:37 AM

Answers

• Could be different stuff, let me bring up some stuff to check:

If a real WHS client logs in with the same user ID and password, does it work?
    On the client, did you reboot after creating the user on the server and appying share permissions? Did you do both steps in the console?
    Did you rename the laptop user in the past, so that the displayed name does not match the real username?
    Are the Firewall settings on the client configured properly to allow access to shared folders?
    Are date, time and time zone on client and server matching?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by ITPartTimer Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:26 PM

All replies

• Could be different stuff, let me bring up some stuff to check:

If a real WHS client logs in with the same user ID and password, does it work?
    On the client, did you reboot after creating the user on the server and appying share permissions? Did you do both steps in the console?
    Did you rename the laptop user in the past, so that the displayed name does not match the real username?
    Are the Firewall settings on the client configured properly to allow access to shared folders?
    Are date, time and time zone on client and server matching?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by ITPartTimer Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:26 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I think it was the date, time and time zone issue.  Seconds before I read you post, I was troubleshooting some failed backups with CloudBerry for WHS.  The error message mentioned time not matching the Amazon server.  I checked and sure enough the WHS thought it was Oct 2005!  Not sure how that happened.  Adjusted time and now the backup and login both work.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:28 AM