Win 10 amd MS Money Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to reply to the newest post on this but it wouldn't let me.

I downloaded Windows 10 when it first came out only to have to revert back to windows 7 within the hour because of the fact my beloved Money Sunset will not work without having IE.

Just saw a post where someone asked about this and was told to download Money Sunset.

I have researched and researched this problem frequently and I do not want to have to change the registry when it  might not work. I see where people have tried this registry fix or that, but the program is unstable and stops working.  Is there now  fix for this? If not then Win 10 without the ability to use Money is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks

• Edited by SkeeterN Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:44 PM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:42 PM

All replies

• If you have the Windows 10 updates, the IE-related version error message has reportedly gone away.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 7:18 PM
  • I can confirm that you no longer need to make any registry changes to run Money Sunset on Windows 10.

However, you do need to make a different change.

If you haven't done so already, have  a look at the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

It describes the need to replace the mnyob99.dll file with a patched version when upgrading to Windows 10.  It points to this site:

https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/windows-8-64-bit-version-compatibility-with-sunset-money/

which contains instructions on how to do the replacement, and this link to a download of the patched file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zj0amk06ax57cfg/mnyob99.dll

When on that download page, be careful to just download the mnyob99.dll file (9.09Mb).  The other links are for different programs.

Post back if you need further help with this. And let us know if it works for you.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 8:01 PM
  • I have been so scared to download win 10 again after MS money wouldn't work. I am retired and must have Money Sunset since it works so well and it is free. I admit I am scared to try again.

I set up a win 10 computer for my Dad over the weekend and to be honest with you I am not fond of it. Mostly because I hate that you have to sign in every time. Well I guess that is for another post.

Thank you for your help

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:25 PM
  • RE Windows 10 and sign-in, I feel your pain.  This would have been a deal-breaker for me.  Fortunately, you can disable it:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/11129-require-sign-wakeup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

For further ease of use and improved security, I suggest that you set up a non-administrator account and use that account for web browsing and routine operations.  You can give it a simple password (or none at all) as long as you trust the people that have physical access to your computer.  When running in that account, you will be prompted for an administrator password if malware tries to install itself or if you accidentally try to make a ill-advised change to the system.

If you are going to use the OneDrive app that comes with Windows 10, please note Cal Learner's advice about making sure that your Money.mny file is in a folder that is not mirrored to OneDrive.  Money needs to have sole control over the Money.mny file when it is open and using the file.  After you close Money, you can manually copy your Money.mny files and/or backups to OneDrive if you like. 

Bill Becker

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 7:37 PM
  • Interesting. A couple of comments...

1. I discovered one can use a 4 digit 'key' to get into W10. This takes one sip of tea and of course proofs you against "burglar bill" or other unauthorised access!

2. My upgrade to W10 popped the data file into Onedrive where it has sat happily ever since and can of course be accessed from another PC. I did not realise this had caused problems.

Dr AS

Thursday, June 2, 2016 8:18 AM