is it compulsory to be a member of the same domain as the ocs and AD servers? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

To communicate with communicator is it compulsory to be a member of the same domain as ocs and AD servers? Besause i'm reading ocs documentation, and in each lab clients and servers are in the same domain.

thanks

Monday, July 2, 2007 2:28 PM

Answers

• It's not necessary for Communicator to reside in the same domain or subnet.  If the user is not already authenticated to the domain they will be prompted for credentials when they access the server via OCS.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 11:02 PM

All replies

• Romain,

I did a lab test with comunicator in a workstation in a workgroup and it had worked. I think they must be at the same range (IP Address) only.

Monday, July 2, 2007 8:54 PM
  • It's not necessary for Communicator to reside in the same domain or subnet.  If the user is not already authenticated to the domain they will be prompted for credentials when they access the server via OCS.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 11:02 PM
  • hi all, and thank you,

i tried to communicate from a pc which is not a member of my domain (my test lab domain), and it didn't work. Maybe there is an other problem (certificate,...).

Mike Stacy wrote:
    If the user is not already authenticated to the domain they will be prompted for credentials when they access the server via OCS.

so, the user needs an account in the domain? Is it the same account which was created for communicator? If i want to communicate from an other network (outside my test lab network but inside the company network), do i need edge server?

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 11:26 AM
  • What certificate error are you getting? You have to make sure the non-domain member client trusts the root CA of the certificate presented by the server.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:29 AM
  • You have to manually install the root chain certificates on the machines that are not registred in your domain. Then install communicator and log on with a user that has been enabled in Office Communications Server.

Also take care that communication over port 5061 or 5060 is possible to your domain.

You can download these root chain certificates from your certicate server (in our case installed on the domain controller/AD machine) http://%admachine@/certsrv/ . The filename of the certificate has the .p7b extension.

/Thomas

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:51 AM