none
This version of Windows is not genuine - unable to startup or do anything. RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening guys.

A friend of mine recently dropped in her laptop to myself, and it has a message stating ;

Insert the Windows Installation DVD or CD into your computer to begin the reinstallation process.

In the bottom right hand side of the black screen it says ;

Windows Vista (TM)

Build 6000

This version of Windows is not genuine.

I dont believe she has any Windows Vista install CD's to my knowledge...

From what I can gather, she told me she got a virus on her laptop a while ago and took it too a computer shop ( I'm assuming independant ) to get it '' fixed ''.

I believe they must have reinstalled / rebooted the hard drive installing Windows Vista.

Everytime I turn the machine on this message comes up, and I cannot go any further. I click cancel and the user logs off.

The Ctrl + Alt + Del facility is disabled and I cant go any further to look into it. I havent tried booting in Safe Mode. Will this make a difference ?

I went into another store and they said that they can sort out this problem. It will cost £90, and they will install a free year subscription with an Anti Virus.

From what I can see, the store she went to may have installed a '' dodgy copy '' of Vista ? How can I tell if I can't run the progam you suggest since I have no access to download, install, run, or copy the logs?  Any ideas ?

Regards,

Friday, September 24, 2010 12:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello, Kosh Vorlon

After booting into Windows, when it shows the error message, a browser window should open up. If it doesn’t, let it sit for a few minutes and check again.

Once the browser opens, do the following:

Type the following command in the browser’s address bar:  %windir%\system32\
    Scroll down till you find the file cmd.exe
    Right-click the file and select Run as Administrator
    In the Command Prompt window type the following command and press enter: slmgr -rearm 

(Note: the slmgr -rearm command can only be used 3 times) 

After performing those steps, restart Windows and you should have access to the machine. Also note that this is only temporary and will return to its previous state in 30 days if not taken care of.

After you have access again, run the diagnostics tool at the link below then click copy and paste the results to us.

Windows Genuine Diagnostics Tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

David
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:23 AM
  • The browser doesn't open.  The error message just sits there with OK or Cancel and both buttons just start it all over again ending in the same place.  Is there any other way to get that browser window to appear or to do this without just waiting since waiting doesn't seem to be working?

Thanks!

Saturday, September 25, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

Start your computer in safe mode

If you can, try the above steps in safe mode.

If you are still unable to access Windows, I would recommend that you contact WGA support at one of the below URL for additional assistance.

North America: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_genadv_master?ws=support&ws=support#tab4

Outside North America: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0

David
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
    Monday, September 27, 2010 7:39 PM