25 digit product key not working RRS feed

• Question

• ok, i bought a new retail version of windows xp home around a year ago, formatted it an lost the original 25 digit key, called tech support, they reset it, but only gave me a 24 digit code, so i called back, they reset it again, and now when i try to install it gives me a unvalid key message, any ideas, i've ruled out it being the wrong key after an hour of talking to tech suport.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:09 PM

Answers

• Hello Bluecrown,

Unfortunately there isn't really anything we can do from our standpoint. Please try and contact support again and explain you  have the CD and what you need is the Product Key because you have lost it. Provide them with information from your Windows Disc and they should be able to provide you with help.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 6:53 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ussbluecrown Monday, June 15, 2009 7:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 8:51 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:53 PM

All replies

• so after another 20 minutes with my glorious support person, i find out that they dont know what there talking about and my choices are either the internet or 60.00 an hour for a techhy
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Hello Ussbluecrown,

It's hard to tell if XP Home is installed and running at this moment.

If you purchased a retail boxed copy of XP, do you still have the box and the Certificate of Authenticity which is on the boxtop?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:38 PM
  • no i do not, sadly enough, all i have is the original xp cd
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Ussbluecrown,

Is XP installed right now?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:53 PM
  • no, i formatted my computer and am trying to reinstall xp
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Hello Bluecrown,

Unfortunately there isn't really anything we can do from our standpoint. Please try and contact support again and explain you  have the CD and what you need is the Product Key because you have lost it. Provide them with information from your Windows Disc and they should be able to provide you with help.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 6:53 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ussbluecrown Monday, June 15, 2009 7:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 8:51 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Hello ussbluecrown,

If you had the box with the CoA you would be able to get a replacement Product Key from Microsoft without too much trouble.

If you had run a utility like the Magical Jellybean Keyfinder that extracts the Product Key from the running installation before you formatted, you would have been able to use the extracted Product Key for your clean installation.

But as it stands, we really don't have much to work with to help you out.  You can always call Microsoft Supplemental Parts Team and throw yourself on the mercy of the court :-)

From MS KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246 :

"Contact information

In the United States and Canada, you can reach the Microsoft Supplemental Parts team at the contact numbers that are listed here:
    • United States: (800) 360-7561, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time.
    • Canada: (800) 933-4750, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time.
    • TTY customers: Contact Microsoft at (800) 718-1599, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time."

Monday, June 15, 2009 7:11 PM