Cannot contact Microsoft..having iPod and Vista problems RRS feed

• Question

• Well since dear old Microsoft makes it impossible to contact them and complain...and unless I pay the extortion fee cannot contact tech support..will post here...

I bought a Gateway computer with Vista installed.  (Of course since it was installed in a Gateway computer, Microsoft says it is Gateways problem even though it is software related..can you say pass the buck)...  I installed iTunes and then discoverd I was unable to connect my iPod and have it recognized.  The computer sort of says it is there, I get a beep if I disconnect it but otherwise it doesn't show up anywhere.  I took the comupter to Best Buy and they worked on it for a few hours trying to get it to work but had no luck...

I tried to install updated drivers but it says I have the latest drivers installed...    I have had to use my old computer and a removeable hard drive to be able to keep using iTunes and my iPod... this new computer with the piece of ____ called Vista just doesn't work...

I have gone to numerous forums and there are a huge number of people having the same problems...but Microsoft doesn't seem to give a rats behind.... 

I wanted to register a compaint but there is no way to complain to them...they are NOT customer friendly...
    Friday, August 22, 2008 4:21 PM

Answers

• Hello Gomezy3k,

Do you have the most current version of iTunes installed? http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Apple did not make the iPod able to be recognized by Windows without iTunes installed. In other words, an iPod will Only work on a computer that has iTunes installed. (That is the way Apple made it. Microsoft had NO say in the matter).

If you have the most current version of iTunes installed and iTunes is not recognizing your iPod, I recommend contacting Apple since they are the maker of both the iPod and iTunes. http://www.apple.com/support/ 

And as far as iTunes not working on Vista. The purpose of an Operating System is to provide a platform for programs (written for that platform) to run on. If a specific program is having problems running on a specific Operating System, who's job is it to resolve the problem? Does the OS maker re-write it's Operating System so that one program runs correctly (and possible breaking bunch of other programs with the change to the OS) or do you think it's the responsibility of the Program Writer to write a program that will correctly run on a given Operating System? 

But if you still wish to complain about iPods and Microsoft, please feel free to post as much as you like in the Feedback and Comments forums http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/genuinefeedback/threads/

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager
    Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 9:36 PM

All replies

• Hello Gomezy3k,

Do you have the most current version of iTunes installed? http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Apple did not make the iPod able to be recognized by Windows without iTunes installed. In other words, an iPod will Only work on a computer that has iTunes installed. (That is the way Apple made it. Microsoft had NO say in the matter).

If you have the most current version of iTunes installed and iTunes is not recognizing your iPod, I recommend contacting Apple since they are the maker of both the iPod and iTunes. http://www.apple.com/support/ 

And as far as iTunes not working on Vista. The purpose of an Operating System is to provide a platform for programs (written for that platform) to run on. If a specific program is having problems running on a specific Operating System, who's job is it to resolve the problem? Does the OS maker re-write it's Operating System so that one program runs correctly (and possible breaking bunch of other programs with the change to the OS) or do you think it's the responsibility of the Program Writer to write a program that will correctly run on a given Operating System? 

But if you still wish to complain about iPods and Microsoft, please feel free to post as much as you like in the Feedback and Comments forums http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/genuinefeedback/threads/

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager
    Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 9:36 PM
  • I have installed and uninstalled iTunes so many times I cannot count...  It seems every "cure" says to make sure that the latest version of iTunes is on the computer and nothing missing... So I have done that.

If it were just me, I could live with it, but there are thousands?..millions? of iPod owners out there...seems like a patch could be done to accomodate all those potential customers...  I have contacted Apple and they say that their program should be compatable with Windows..

On my old compter with XP, I have no problems.  I can hook the iPod up to the computer and it runs like a champ... So I have been using the new computer to put music into the iTunes by loading it into my removeable hard drive.  The main program is on the computer but the storage for songs is on the hard drive.... (I use a removeable hard drive and move it back and forth between the computers)... The only thing different is the operating system... XP Vs Vista...

Oh and I already have posted on the other board...
    • Edited by Gomezy3k Friday, August 22, 2008 11:19 PM adding info
    Friday, August 22, 2008 11:17 PM
  • Darin Smith MS said:

The purpose of an Operating System is to provide a platform for programs (written for that platform) to run on. If a specific program is having problems running on a specific Operating System, who's job is it to resolve the problem? Does the OS maker re-write it's Operating System so that one program runs correctly (and possible breaking bunch of other programs with the change to the OS) or do you think it's the responsibility of the Program Writer to write a program that will correctly run on a given Operating System? 

Friday, August 22, 2008 11:19 PM