Remote Access - Android RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Home Server 2011 installed on my home network.  I have a client computer on the home network running Win 8.1 Pro with Remote Access enabled.  I can connect to that computer over the Internet using IE on my laptop and selecting the client computer within the Computers section of the Remote Web Access feature, so everything appears to be setup correctly.

I also have an Android tablet.  Microsoft just released a remote access app for android.  Can I connect to my home network client computer using the android app over the Internet without otherwise changing my home computer setup?  Or do I have to separately figure out how to forward ports, etc., etc., etc.?

I'd guess I have to do something with the Gateway settings within the Android app, but am mostly guessing on what I'm supposed to do.  I don't really see documentation on the Android app settings or on how it's supposed to interact with WHS 2011.  Only stuff I can find is for Server 2012 and it's a bit greek to me.....

Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:04 PM

Answers

• Since you have already enable Remote Access on win 8.1 Pro, you will need to port forward port 3389 to your windows 8.1 Pro pc.

(for access via the internet)

1. Access your router
    2. Find port forwarding setting
    3. Type in port 3389 for external port (type twice if there is a start and end field)(May want to use alternate port for external to hide opening of 3389 ex: external port 1001 internal port 3389)
    4. type in the IPv4 address you found earlier into the "IP address" field
    5. Select TCP protocol, click enable, save changes
    (you might also need to type in 3389 again if there is an option under the "internal"  section called start/end port)
    6.  Go to newly installed microsoft RD for android app
    7. Use your logon/microsoft credentials for user name and password
    8. "PC Name" is your public IP address, and can be found by googling, "what is my IP address"(add port if using alternate ex: 69.189.251.69:1001)
    9. Connection name is whatevs you want
    10. save, and connect

If you are using a Live log-in you may need to go to Control Panel\Credential Manager and setup username/password.

(access via LAN)

1. Connection name: anything doesn't matter
    2. PC name: this has to be your computers IP address. Usually starts with 192.168.0.X or 10.1.1.X
    3. Gateway: Leave it as no gateway configured
    4. Credentials
        Username: has to be the username you use on your computer. Password: use the same password you set for your account on your computer.

• Proposed as answer by doug2h Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:26 PM
    • Edited by doug2h Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:41 PM Port info
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:49 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:26 PM