questions about Songsmith RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm french and I try to write in English !!

I have installed Songsmith (trial) and I have 4 questions:

- What is the use of happy and jazzy? I have to modify them before or after the singing?

- The program suggest others chords, can I see the notes I have sung to choose chords? How can I be sure it is the best chords the program has chosen?

- Are there others free style of music to download?

- I have played in songsmith the beginning of the voice singing of a song I know the chords and Songsmith give me different chords of the original piano score of this song? why?

thanks.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:13 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your interest in Songsmith!

> What is the use of happy and jazzy? I have to modify them before or after the singing?

The "happy" and "jazz" sliders let you adjust the chords that are created for your song.  You can change them after you record your voice, and all the chords will be updated as you move the sliders.

> The program suggest others chords, can I see the notes I have sung to choose chords? How can I be sure it is the best chords the program has chosen?

Unfortunately there's no way to view the melody notes, and in fact Songsmith never actually goes and figures out exactly what notes you sang.  Instead, it looks at the whole set of approximate notes in each measure.  If you're interested in all the details, you can read more here:

http://research.microsoft.com/songsmith/research.html

In fact it's very hard to produce an accurate transcription of a vocal melody, even for an excellent singer.  Lots of researchers are still working on this problem.

> Are there others free style of music to download?

There are not additional free styles available; you can purchase additional styles from:

http://www.pgmusic.com/songsmith.htm

> I have played in songsmith the beginning of the voice singing of a song I know the chords and Songsmith give me different chords of the original piano score of this song? why?

There's not a single "correct" set of chords for a given melody; in fact if you give the same melody to a few musicians - or even the same musician two days in a row - you'll get lots of reasonable chord progressions.  Songsmith is primarily about giving you a good starting point, and letting you explore different chord progressions by moving the sliders, trying out suggested chords, etc.  So we don't expect that if you put a given melody in you'll get exactly the same chords back, even if you match the timing and tempo perfectly (which is also very hard to do if you're using an existing) recording.

Hope that helps!

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 9:49 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Thanks for your interest in Songsmith!

> What is the use of happy and jazzy? I have to modify them before or after the singing?

The "happy" and "jazz" sliders let you adjust the chords that are created for your song.  You can change them after you record your voice, and all the chords will be updated as you move the sliders.

> The program suggest others chords, can I see the notes I have sung to choose chords? How can I be sure it is the best chords the program has chosen?

Unfortunately there's no way to view the melody notes, and in fact Songsmith never actually goes and figures out exactly what notes you sang.  Instead, it looks at the whole set of approximate notes in each measure.  If you're interested in all the details, you can read more here:

http://research.microsoft.com/songsmith/research.html

In fact it's very hard to produce an accurate transcription of a vocal melody, even for an excellent singer.  Lots of researchers are still working on this problem.

> Are there others free style of music to download?

There are not additional free styles available; you can purchase additional styles from:

http://www.pgmusic.com/songsmith.htm

> I have played in songsmith the beginning of the voice singing of a song I know the chords and Songsmith give me different chords of the original piano score of this song? why?

There's not a single "correct" set of chords for a given melody; in fact if you give the same melody to a few musicians - or even the same musician two days in a row - you'll get lots of reasonable chord progressions.  Songsmith is primarily about giving you a good starting point, and letting you explore different chord progressions by moving the sliders, trying out suggested chords, etc.  So we don't expect that if you put a given melody in you'll get exactly the same chords back, even if you match the timing and tempo perfectly (which is also very hard to do if you're using an existing) recording.

Hope that helps!

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 9:49 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Thank you for this answer.

I have understood the principle of Songsmith.

(for the notes, I have downloaded PRODIPE SOLO that gives the notes I have sung,  but it doesn't works well because it is too "sensitive" for the accuracy of the note (it gives three notes for one note sung !!)

but for the chord, if I sing C- E -G  it seems to me it is a chord of C Maj ? 

I want to buy Songsmith, where I can Buy it (I live in France) ?

Thanks

Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:50 AM
  • If you visit http://www.microsoftstore.com , and search for "Songsmith", you should be redirected to the correct page for purchasing Songsmith in France.

Thanks for your interest in Songsmith!

-Dan

Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:00 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Before I buy Songsmith, please give me the link for download Songmith with WIN 7 /64 bits.

Thanks

Friday, March 11, 2016 9:58 AM
  • There is only one version of Songsmith, which is likely the one you already have:

http://research.microsoft.com/songsmith/download.html

It runs on 32- or 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10.

Hope that helps!

Friday, March 11, 2016 2:54 PM
    Owner