How do you add an IP printer? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a Brother MFC 5840CN printer with a built-in print server. I want to add this printer manuallyto thw WHS.

I open add printer wizard and select a network printer but i am unsure of what to type in for the printer name. Ive tried browsing but it dosnt show up. Can anyone help?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:29 PM

Answers

• Have you tried the instructions on that page I linked? Generally, the printer manufacturer knows best how to install their own hardware.

If you have and those instructions didn't work, then you can try the following (written from memory and XP, but it's the same basic idea):
    • Install the printer driver from that page.
    • Open Printers and Faxes, and select Add a printer. This starts the Add a printer wizard.
    • The type of printer you want to install is a Local printer (sounds wrong, but trust me...) but don't automatically select "detect a plug and play printer".
    • Click Next, then select the radio button next to Create a port, and select the TCP/IP port type. Click next to enter the Add a TCP/IP port wizard.
    • Click next, specify the printer's IP address, and give a name for the port if you like (the auto-generated name is not terribly friendly).
    • Click next. Select Standard and Generic Network Card from the dropdown.
    • Click next. Click finish.
    • If you installed the printer driver already, the printer should be detected automatically. Follow through the rest of the wizard.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 9:05 PM

All replies

• Firstly, before you go any further, make sure you have Windows 2003 drivers for the printer.

A printer with a built in print server should show up when performing the add printer wizard - can you confirm that the printer is conneted to your network and other devices can see it?

Andrew

Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Hve you checked for drivers and instructions on the Brother web site?
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Yes the device is connected. It appears on vista and mac os x but not on xp or the whs. only printers with the following type of address appear \\hpserver\samsung and no ip addresses.

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:36 PM
  • Have you tried the instructions on that page I linked? Generally, the printer manufacturer knows best how to install their own hardware.

If you have and those instructions didn't work, then you can try the following (written from memory and XP, but it's the same basic idea):
    • Install the printer driver from that page.
    • Open Printers and Faxes, and select Add a printer. This starts the Add a printer wizard.
    • The type of printer you want to install is a Local printer (sounds wrong, but trust me...) but don't automatically select "detect a plug and play printer".
    • Click Next, then select the radio button next to Create a port, and select the TCP/IP port type. Click next to enter the Add a TCP/IP port wizard.
    • Click next, specify the printer's IP address, and give a name for the port if you like (the auto-generated name is not terribly friendly).
    • Click next. Select Standard and Generic Network Card from the dropdown.
    • Click next. Click finish.
    • If you installed the printer driver already, the printer should be detected automatically. Follow through the rest of the wizard.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 9:05 PM
  • If you are trying to share a printer and the possibly use that printer to print over the Internet, I'd urge you to review the printing tutorials over at http://www.MyHomeServer.com

We have tutorials that show how to install and share a printer using WHS and even share that printer over the Internet using the IPP protocol encapsulated in HTTP packets.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:17 PM