Capturing times for certain events with slow booting of XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Can you please advise which forum I should post to for a question about how I can capture the time of (or time taken for)
    - users to reach the logon (credentials) screen
    - users pressing OK after entering their credentials on the logon screen
    - the XP desktop appearing in a moderately usable format (e.g. user is able to open Explorer)

We have issues with slow boot/slow logon (SBSL) with Windows XP on the domain, and we would like to have some "real" numbers before we start so that we can have a baseline and don't need to ask users what they mean when they say "it's a bit slower than usual" (and we will know which stage of the boot process is slow). We are already capturing userenv logs.

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:12 AM

Answers

• Final update:

I ended up posting into one of the Partner XP forums, and got an answer.....which wasn't great news, but confirmed my suspicions - XP is very limited if you want to capture the time taken from boot to logon screen to "ready" - you'll need to use xperf (or a tool which uses xperf like xbootmgr) to generate an ETL file and analyse it. I've accepted that I won't be able to find a "set and forget" tool that I can deploy to hundreds of PCs to run automatically with minimal system resource impact. We may be able to focus on the timings from login screen to "ready for use", so I'll focus on that.

Thanks for your assistance.

Below is an excerpt from the forum reply.

Based on my research and experience, I am afraid there is no better way/tool than what you had found to handle this kind of issue. We still need to use tools to record some related logs and then analyze them to get the useful information. I appreciate your understanding on this issue.

For your convenience, I have found an article about troubleshoot slow logon issue, hopefully it will be useful for you:

The Case of the Slow Logons

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2010/01/13/3305263.aspx

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hi General,

Thank you for your post!

As MSDN and TechNet Forums are for IT professionals to post technical questions such as development, testing, deployment, etc. I would suggest posting your question in one of the
    forums at
    Microsoft Answers, which helps people troubleshoot problems about Windows, IE,
    Office and other Microsoft products.

locate here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp.

Hope this would be helpful.

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support
    EPX Service Enginerring Tier1

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:29 AM
  • Unfortunately, I received the following reply from the Microsoft Answers forum:

------------------

Your Windows XP question is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums. It is better suited for the IT Pro audience on TechNet. Please post your question in the TechNet Windows XP Networking forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxpitpro

-----------------

However, the notes for that group say:

This particular TechNet Forum is designed to assist Windows XP users with the installation of Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP.

If your issue is not related to installation issues with SP3, please post your question in the more appropriate Microsoft Answers Forum.

----------------

So.......I'm back to square one........ Can someone please advise which group I should post to?

I've used xbootmgr and xperf and autoruns and procmon to capture information, but these tools are unsuitable for daily "set and forget" use on multiple PCs over multiple days due to the large volume of data they produce, and because they do not easily provide the information that I am looking for (they require a human to read and interpret the data).

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Final update:

I ended up posting into one of the Partner XP forums, and got an answer.....which wasn't great news, but confirmed my suspicions - XP is very limited if you want to capture the time taken from boot to logon screen to "ready" - you'll need to use xperf (or a tool which uses xperf like xbootmgr) to generate an ETL file and analyse it. I've accepted that I won't be able to find a "set and forget" tool that I can deploy to hundreds of PCs to run automatically with minimal system resource impact. We may be able to focus on the timings from login screen to "ready for use", so I'll focus on that.

Thanks for your assistance.

Below is an excerpt from the forum reply.

Based on my research and experience, I am afraid there is no better way/tool than what you had found to handle this kind of issue. We still need to use tools to record some related logs and then analyze them to get the useful information. I appreciate your understanding on this issue.

For your convenience, I have found an article about troubleshoot slow logon issue, hopefully it will be useful for you:

The Case of the Slow Logons

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2010/01/13/3305263.aspx

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:03 AM