How to create a discrete variable with 3 outcome? RRS feed

• Question

• Say, I have a gaussian variable 

var x = Variable.GaussianFromMeanAndVariance(y,1);

I would like to create a variable that have outcome -1, 0, 1 when x < -1,  -1 <=x<1, 1 <= x.

So that if I want to make some inference about y, it would not have to recompile each time if I observe 'x < -1', '1 <= x', '-1 <=x<1'

• Edited by colinfang Friday, September 19, 2014 5:08 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2014 4:34 PM

Answers

• If outcome is always going to be observed, then the best approach is:

using(Variable.Case(outcome,-1)) {
      Variable.ConstrainTrue(x < -1);
    }
    using(Variable.Case(outcome,0)) {
      Variable.ConstrainBetween(x,-1,1);
    }
    using(Variable.Case(outcome,1)) {
      Variable.ConstrainTrue(1 <= x);
    }

Monday, September 22, 2014 6:36 PM
    Owner

All replies

• If outcome is always going to be observed, then the best approach is:

using(Variable.Case(outcome,-1)) {
      Variable.ConstrainTrue(x < -1);
    }
    using(Variable.Case(outcome,0)) {
      Variable.ConstrainBetween(x,-1,1);
    }
    using(Variable.Case(outcome,1)) {
      Variable.ConstrainTrue(1 <= x);
    }

Monday, September 22, 2014 6:36 PM
    Owner
  • This is what I tried. However, then I can no longer make inference about variable outcome if outcome is not observed.

Generally in Infer.Net, it seems that I always encounter the problem that I have to build 2 almost identical models, one is used for outcome observation / inference, the other for outcome prediction.

Monday, September 22, 2014 7:23 PM
  • That is because Infer.NET does not support a discrete distribution over the values (-1,0,1).  If you change outcome to range over (0,1,2) then you can do it.  Just add in the following:

var outcome = Variable.DiscreteUniform(3);

That is one way to do it.  There are a few different ways to express this model, each with their own advantages depending on your goals.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:34 AM
    Owner
  • Thank you for the reply. I am really grateful that I can get help from the author of the software I am using and the paper I am studying. 

If I do var outcome = Variable.DiscreteUniform(3), and try to infer outcome (without any observation), it seems I would then get a "posterior" distribution of outcome by taking uniform as a prior (however in this case the difference from true value is almost 0. I suspect it might always be equal to the true value, why is that?).

Evidence:

e.g. if I do var outcome = Variable.Discrete(new double[]{1.0/4, 1.0/4, 1.0/2}),  the inference of outcome is different. Since there is no observed value at all, I would expect the distribution of outcome should be fixed, as some compound / mixture distribution.

Generally, I would like a model that takes a variable A and get a output variable B.

Ideally, when I want to do inference, I can: B.ObservedValue = b, A.ClearObservedValue(), so I can Infer(A).

And when I want to do forecasting, I can: B.ClearObservedValue(), A.OberservedValue = a, so I can Infer(B).

Surely building model for either of the above 2 tasks is not too hard. I am just curious if there exists one model that can fit them both.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:57 PM
  • The approach I described can do exactly what you are asking.  If outcome is observed, then you can infer y.  If y is observed, then you can infer outcome.  If this is not sufficient, then tell me what are the variables "A" and "B" that you have in mind.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:11 PM
    Owner
  • The approach you described works.

I am just not understanding why it would have worked, and not sure if I can apply this technique to other similar situations without any assumption.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Ok, I figured out. The message passed from uniform discrete variable is trivial.
    Friday, September 26, 2014 3:58 PM