Re-installing WHS OS without losing data RRS feed

• Question

• This seems like a pretty straight-forward question, but I can't seem to find any answers to it anywhere.

I have a WHS installed on a stand-alone box with two internal HDDs.  I have a whole bunch of data on that server (pictures, music, ...) that I want to keep and all of it is duplicated across both of those drives.  I need to re-install the OS without losing any of this data.  How do I do it?

Foolishly, I've just rebooted using the installation DVD, thinking that it would only re-install the OS, leaving the data intact.  However, all of my data was lost.  Fortunately, I had a back-up elsewhere, but it seems this is something I should be able to do.

Any thoughts?
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 1:01 AM

Answers

• jurajh said:

This seems like a pretty straight-forward question, but I can't seem to find any answers to it anywhere.

I have a WHS installed on a stand-alone box with two internal HDDs.  I have a whole bunch of data on that server (pictures, music, ...) that I want to keep and all of it is duplicated across both of those drives.  I need to re-install the OS without losing any of this data.  How do I do it?

Foolishly, I've just rebooted using the installation DVD, thinking that it would only re-install the OS, leaving the data intact.  However, all of my data was lost.  Fortunately, I had a back-up elsewhere, but it seems this is something I should be able to do.

Any thoughts?

When you boot from the DVD, you should be given two options:  Server Reinstallation and New Installation.  You want Server Reinstallation.  It sounds like you didn't get that option.  There are a few reasons why you might not have gotten it.  However, since you already did a New Installation, it's probably not worth trying to track down why it didn't work.  If you ever need to reinstall again, my suggestion would be to post here first. :)
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 3:33 AM

All replies

• jurajh said:

This seems like a pretty straight-forward question, but I can't seem to find any answers to it anywhere.

Any thoughts?

When you boot from the DVD, you should be given two options:  Server Reinstallation and New Installation.  You want Server Reinstallation.  It sounds like you didn't get that option.  There are a few reasons why you might not have gotten it.  However, since you already did a New Installation, it's probably not worth trying to track down why it didn't work.  If you ever need to reinstall again, my suggestion would be to post here first. :)
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 3:33 AM
  • I am about to do the very same thing. REinstall the OEM version I purchased after using 120 day eval solution. I read that someone did not get the option to do a REINSTALL OS. You mentioned "there are a number of reasons why you didn't". Would you like to list a few?
    H-P Test Engineer
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Hi Dennis,
    if you didn't change the Bios settings (i.e. booting from which disk) and the sequence, in which the disks are connected to the controllers, there are usually only three reasons for no reinstall offered I can see:
    Driver issues (especially if the SATA controller is in SATA mode instead of in IDE mode, so that additional drivers are required on a floppy disk - in some configurations mandatory - or USB stick)
    issues with the file system, which are blocking setup from detecting the previous home server installation properly
    a started server reinstallation, which failed due to various issues (DVD not left in drive all the time or not readable, impatience in the stage of tombstone rebuild) may leave the system in a status, in which a subsequent installation attempt is unable to detect the previous installation
    (I don't know, which triggers are used by the setup program to decide, if a server reinstall is an option.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 7:31 PM