none
Sync Setup - Echo from Left to Right? RRS feed

• Question

• Currently, I have 2 folder pairs set up ...

- one set to Echo my laptop (c: ) drive to a folder on external (f: ) drive.
    - another set to Echo another external drive (e: ) to a separate folder on the external (f: ) drive.

My plan is to never open/modify any files on this f: drive - this will be a dedicated backup of my laptop (c: ) drive and external (e: ) drive, using 2 folders on the drive.

Am I correct to be using Echo in this instance?  I want, at time of backup, for the folders on the right (f: ) to directly reflect what is on the left (c:/e: ) - this includes, if I delete a file from my c: drive or perhaps move a folder from c: to e: to be then reflected on the right (f: ).

I noticed today, I had deleted a folder in 'My Pictures' on my laptop (c: ) drive and looking at the backup folder on the right (f: ), it was still there - it seems to be making a cumulative backup, not making the same changes that were made on the left (c ) drive.  Is this an issue or should I have this set up differently?

If you could provide any feedback, I would greatly appreciate it!  Am I correct in selecting Echo in this instance? 

Thank you
    Monday, January 12, 2009 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hi -

You are right about what Echo does - it should Echo changes from the left to the right. Therefore deletes from the left to the right should be echo'ed. However we will not delete files on the right that have had local changes made that we think the left side is unaware of and hence decide not to delete it. To check if this indeed is the case - change the Synchronization option from "Echo" to "Synchronize" and then run a Preview Sync. ( Be careful not to actually synchronize). You can then check to see if files are being copied from the right to the left. In that case it means that there was a change made to the left-hand side.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:20 AM

All replies

• Thoughts, feedback?  Is this an error (either on my end or with the product) - from the descriptions, Echo appears to be the ideal option for my application.

I am going left to right and it's not deleting the files on the right but making a cumulative backup. Hopefully that makes sense!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Hi -

You are right about what Echo does - it should Echo changes from the left to the right. Therefore deletes from the left to the right should be echo'ed. However we will not delete files on the right that have had local changes made that we think the left side is unaware of and hence decide not to delete it. To check if this indeed is the case - change the Synchronization option from "Echo" to "Synchronize" and then run a Preview Sync. ( Be careful not to actually synchronize). You can then check to see if files are being copied from the right to the left. In that case it means that there was a change made to the left-hand side.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Deepa,

Thanks for the info - I ran my backup [echo - left/external (e: ) drive to right/external (f: ) drive].  When this was complete, I did as you recommended, a preview with the Sync backup.  It showed 286 files that would be updated (7 overwrite, 272 new, 7 create folder)

What can I do with this info so I get to a point that I described - having a direct reflection, from the drive on the left to the drive on the right.

I don't open folders, files, etc on the f: drive - it's exclusively a backup.  You mentioned that it doesn't delete files that have had local changes, in this case no changes have been made directly on the f: drive, only to the e: drive which is echo'd to the right (f: ).

Any suggestions for a smooth, easy, efficient backup/echo in this scenario?  I wouldn't want to do a preview of a sync and go in and make manual modifications on this.

I appreciate your feedback or from anyone else here!
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:37 PM