none
This copy of windows is not genuine Vista Build 6002

Question

• Hi there - my laptop is showing the Vista Build 6002 - this copy of Windows is not genuine - error.   

I have tried to run the MGA Diagnostic tool as recommended on here, but have not been able to download it - I tried clicking the link on various related Microsoft posts but nothing happened, I also tried searching the download area of the microsoft download area and it said the file doesn't exist.

I have recently had problems whereby automatic updates wouldn't update - they start updating but then the message come up about reverting to original settings - have no idea if this is connected in any way.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 3:25 PM

Answers

• "pb990b" wrote in message news:cac3dcbd-9172-4efe-9b48-9d5709d2c754...

Thanks Noel.

Unfortunately the new user account didn't work, I got the message: 'The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.'

One option may be to purchase Windows 7 - I had been considering buying it anyway, though decided not to, but it may be the pragmatic way forward, I can't afford to continue without this laptop for much longer. (irritated, though, at being forced to do so by a Microsoft error). Do you have any experience of whether installing Windows 7 over the top of this problem will fully fix it?

Best regards, and thanks for your assistance.

System corruption such as this is rarely down to being an OS problem – it’s much more often a hardware or malware problem.

Try booting to Safe Mode, and accessing the new account – if that works, then try a Clean Boot, by disabling all non-MS services and startup items in MSCONFIG.

Try running a CHKDSK /R
    Click on the Start button
    type in the Search box
    CMD.EXE
    right-click on the only file that is found
    Select Run as Administrator
    - the Elevated Command Prompt window should pop up
    At the Command prompt, type
    CHKDSK C: /R
    and hit the Enter key
    You will be told that the drive is locked, and the CHKDSK will run at he next boot - hit the Y key, and then reboot. The chkdsk will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive, so be patient!

After the CHKDSK has run, Windows should boot normally (possibly after a second auto-reboot) – see if that helps at all.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:29 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 2:00 PM

All replies

• "pb990b" wrote in message news:a7459ec2-e899-47af-a764-b8676f7e17ea...

Hi there - my laptop is showing the Vista Build 6002 - this copy of Windows is not genuine - error.  

I have tried to run the MGA Diagnostic tool as recommended on here, but have not been able to download it - I tried clicking the link on various related Microsoft posts but nothing happened, I also tried searching the download area of the microsoft download area and it said the file doesn't exist.

I have recently had problems whereby automatic updates wouldn't update - they start updating but then the message come up about reverting to original settings - have no idea if this is connected in any way.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
    - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

If that link doesn’t work, then go to Internet Properties, and reset the Security settings to default for all zones.
    Then check to see if there’s a Proxy Server (in the Connections tab) – disable it if so.
    then try the download again.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Thanks, Noel

Still can't get the download to work. I reset the security settings to all zones, and there wasn't a proxy server.

Any further thoughts?

Saturday, August 27, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Maybe you could email the file to me? My email is
    • Edited by pb990b Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:21 PM
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 4:43 PM
  • "pb990b" wrote in message news:8a0c513c-e29e-41f3-84df-e75603e2d3b6...
    Maybe you could email the file to me? My email is

Done (now edit out your email address so you don’t get spammed to death!)  – but I suggest that you check your system for malware, as the link should certainly work.

you need to update your Anti-Virus and run a full scan, then download, install, update and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (www.malwarebytes.org) free version – do NOT enable the real-time protection – and run a Full System scan in your main user account, and a Quick scan in all other accounts.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Thanks, Noel, got it. Though I can't even download an attachment on this computer, I had to use another. Then I can't save to Desktop - access denied - so I saved it to D drive and ran it from there.

But when I came to run it, it has been Not Responding for nearly 10 minutes :-(

By the way, since the 'Windows is not genuine' issue I have also been unable to access Word, Excel, Mozilla Thunderbird and Mozilla Firefox, among others, plus I can't save to the C drive.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:38 PM
  • As you suggest, I'll try running the download from Malwarebytes, though I suspect I may have trouble running that too.

Note, though, that I had no problems (no noticeable ones, anyway) before the Windows is not genuine issue arrived.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Not able to copy the Output file from the MGAD Tool
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:47 PM
  • "pb990b" wrote in message news:dffd5756-6fcf-4508-ac85-7b905649a28b...
    Not able to copy the Output file from the MGAD Tool

Hmm – I’m not too surprised (although the error message means that it can’t save the output files to disk, rather the the data to the clipboard, I suspect that there are major permissions problems with your system.

Try this....
    Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the C:\ drive
    highlight the Windows folder, and right-click on it. Select Properties.

Clear the ‘blob’ in the Read-only check-box, and click Apply.
    make sure that the radio-button for ‘Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files’ is set – then click the OK.
    OK out.
    reboot and see if that helps.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 6:00 PM
  • I unchecked the box as you said, and applied to all folders, but I dont think thats the problem, its more to do with permissions than files being read-only. Reason for saying that is I still get the same error when trying to copy the Output file from the MGAD tool. And when I tried to save a screenshot of the error message (to the Pictures folder on my C drive) I got this error: 'You dont have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission'. But I AM the administrator!!

Thanks for your help, rather more needed still, I think.

Patrick

Saturday, August 27, 2011 11:29 PM
  • "pb990b" wrote in message news:48688f3e-ed92-4fd7-a5c9-56edaf6f4f53...

I unchecked the box as you said, and applied to all folders, but I dont think thats the problem, its more to do with permissions than files being read-only. Reason for saying that is I still get the same error when trying to copy the Output file from the MGAD tool. And when I tried to save a screenshot of the error message (to the Pictures folder on my C drive) I got this error: 'You dont have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission'. But I AM the administrator!!

Thanks for your help, rather more needed still, I think.

Patrick

Try creating a new User and logging into that account – does that give you access to the normal folders?

You may be better to leave the WGA problems until the rest of the problems are sorted out – or consider a reformat/reinstall – so posting those problems to a more appropriate forum would be the way to go....
    Windows Vista Answers System RE[pair would be the best - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system

Saturday, August 27, 2011 11:38 PM
  • Thanks Noel.

Unfortunately the new user account didn't work, I got the message: 'The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.'

One option may be to purchase Windows 7 - I had been considering buying it anyway, though decided not to, but it may be the pragmatic way forward, I can't afford to continue without this laptop for much longer. (irritated, though, at being forced to do so by a Microsoft error). Do you have any experience of whether installing Windows 7 over the top of this problem will fully fix it?

Monday, August 29, 2011 12:51 PM
  • "pb990b" wrote in message news:cac3dcbd-9172-4efe-9b48-9d5709d2c754...

Thanks Noel.

System corruption such as this is rarely down to being an OS problem – it’s much more often a hardware or malware problem.

Try booting to Safe Mode, and accessing the new account – if that works, then try a Clean Boot, by disabling all non-MS services and startup items in MSCONFIG.

Try running a CHKDSK /R
    Click on the Start button
    type in the Search box
    CMD.EXE
    right-click on the only file that is found
    Select Run as Administrator
    - the Elevated Command Prompt window should pop up
    At the Command prompt, type
    CHKDSK C: /R
    and hit the Enter key
    You will be told that the drive is locked, and the CHKDSK will run at he next boot - hit the Y key, and then reboot. The chkdsk will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive, so be patient!

After the CHKDSK has run, Windows should boot normally (possibly after a second auto-reboot) – see if that helps at all.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:29 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 2:00 PM