is a pc optimizer OK RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had bigfix that came with my machine which has now elasped. Can or should I use reg it or PC Optimizer with one care? Reg it free scan says I have 909 errors.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 3:03 PM

Answers

• I would not recommend using any optimizer program - with or without OneCare. Nor would I trust any registry cleaner program.

However, if you are willing to take the risks of using a registry cleaner, you can download the free ccleaner at www.ccleaner.com - be sure to save the changes before committing so that you can recover if something goes awry.

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 5:12 PM

All replies

• I would not recommend using any optimizer program - with or without OneCare. Nor would I trust any registry cleaner program.

However, if you are willing to take the risks of using a registry cleaner, you can download the free ccleaner at www.ccleaner.com - be sure to save the changes before committing so that you can recover if something goes awry.

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Thank you. Does OneCare fix these registry problems or does Microsoft have or will have a program of their own we could use? I am leary of programs other than microsoft.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 11:13 AM
  • OneCare does not include a Registry fixer/cleaner. If you wish to use one developed by Microsoft, go to http://safety.live.com and you will be redirected to the free version of OneCare online, which will perform a registry scan. I still believe that you should avoid registry scanners.

-steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Though I agree with Steve that you should avoid Registry Cleaners as a rule, I do have to make note of something interesting.

I recently had two customer systems with some legacy issues created by old antispam and/or antivirus software that I couldn't resolve. Since I'd been unable to fix this by running the clean-up tools supplied by the AV vendors, I finally decided to give the OneCare Safety Scanner mentioned by Steve above a try as a last ditch effort before re-installing the PCs.

To my surprise and delight, it seems to have worked! I did have a minor issue with PDF Attachments not opening from within an Outlook Express message, but otherwise, the major issues with email send/receive locking up (stuck in Outbox) and the inability to install IE 7 on the second PC were both fixed. And I also noticed myself that both systems seem to have improved performance and stability in accessing the web in general.

I only did this last Friday, so there could still be other problems found, but the PDF attachments are the only issue they've mentioned so far. This should be far easier to fix than the deeper issues with the networking and update systems that were occuring originally.

So to summarize, I'd still avoid Registry Cleaning just for the sake of 'cleaning', but if you're faced with a system rebuild as your only other option it's worth giving the OneCare Safety Scan a try, of course after backing up any critical personal files first.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:08 AM