WGA Notification, unknown error RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing because I have not seen anything to help fix my issue. Things were great until sometime over the weekend. Now we get the WGA Notification everywhere. When viewing 'details' it says it has encountered an unknown error, and to let them know... of course, no way to do that without coming to the forums here.

After visiting the site, I saw several tools, first the diagnostics tool. Here is everything...

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PQJHB-4CXMK-QJP2W
    Windows Product Key Hash: I95khV3hQhHUMvNDPnZfePThUJE=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2263985-43571
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: CR9C5N9
    ID: 06c39198-154a-437d-9008-e332836b6a6d
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.0.
    Signature Type: Unknown.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>06c39198-154a-437d-9008-e332836b6a6d</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-QJP2W</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2263985-43571</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1004336348-562591055-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20051227000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>513A3D870184406A</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91CA0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>2194135A2527F84</Val><Hash>0HYmAVfz+QvCrYFO8+Yx/8735p4=</Hash><Pid>70160-OEM-5696243-20511</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

So, then I saw another link to 'manually' install the WGA update... apparently it has helped some people... OK, worth a shot... I download and run, but get "Unable to verify signature, make sure Cryptographic service is running." So, I do so (Under services.msc... please :) ) and it is started and running normally....

Well, now I am perplexed... I don't know what else to do for it... like I said, things WERE fine... installing all updates nightly, etc... so unless there was another WGA update, I wouldn't have expected anything.

And, as expected, it really isn't affecting anything... I just have to look at the notification, as if I have done something wrong.

Well, if there are any thoughts, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

John

Monday, June 26, 2006 12:37 PM

Answers

• XyberJohn,

Let us know if you have any more of the aformentioned problems after your repair instal.

Thanks,

-Derrick

Thursday, June 29, 2006 4:22 PM

All replies

• Through my own experience with this I found out the following that you should try FIRST, then if it doesn't work, the engineers here will have to help.

When I got the warnings about Windows not being genuine (on a brand new Dell laptop), I would click the banner displayed and go to the page it directed me to for validation.  That page is www.howtotell.com (which redirects, but basically that is it).  I could not get it to validate - it would just tell me that my key "appeared to be valid but WGA could not make a final determination".

After several hours and different posts on this forum, one of the engineers finally noticed that I was using the "how to tell" site to try to validate.  He said I should NOT be using that site as it is "more for informational purposes". 

He directed me to www.microsoft.com/genuine.  So I went there and my 12 hour ordeal came to an end as the laptop validated immediately.  Same goes with now two other laptops (both brand new, but saying Windows wasn't genuine).  My MGA said it was genuine, the engineer said it appeared genuine.

So, before you have too many headaches, go to www.microsoft.com/genuine instead of the page that the notifications send you to.

I really, really hope this works for you as it did for me.  ALL of my machines at my company are now being put through this as a precaution.

Ozzy
    Monday, June 26, 2006 7:58 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately it did not change anything. I can do the Windows validation, and get a nice thank you message... but the validation bubble is still there.

So I moved onto the Office validation, and got a message that an add-on has been disabled. But when I look at the add-on's, even the ones not currently being used by IE... they are all enabled. And I am not blocking any publishers (Which you would think if it was an issue with the publisher, that it would have had the same issue with the Windows validation.)

So, it seems to suggest that the validation problem is with Office, and not XP. But I am still unsure what is causing the issue. Any further thoughts are greatly appreciated.

The only other oddball thing I can think to mention is that this is a 64-Bit processor system... since office is the issue, I tend to think less that 64-Bit is the issue... but I would hate to not mention it, and find out in a week that it was the problem.

Thanks,

John

Monday, June 26, 2006 8:13 PM
  • John:

Please check this post out and let me know if the manual installation works.

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=458758&SiteID=25

-phil liu

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:19 AM
  • Thanks for the attempt, but that was one of the first items I tried, the exact message I get when I try to update manually is...

WgaNotifySetup Error

Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.

And if I then go to 'services.msc' and check and 'Cryptographic Services' is started. Seems to be operating normally.

Thanks again, please try again :-)

John

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:25 PM
  • John:

Unfortunately, cryptographic services is out of the scope of the forum support. I would suggest filing a support request with the services team related to cryptographic services at www.support.microsoft.com.

This may help.

Start the Administrative Tools utility in Control Panel. Double-click Services. (this will open the services window) Right-click Cryptographic Services, and then click Properties. Click Automatic for Startup type, and then click Start.

How To Fix The "Cryptographic Service Error": http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html  

-phil liu

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:33 PM
  • Well, since the other day, before I was able to attempt to fix anything with the Cryptographic Service (Which the link looked like it may actually help, BTW.) The PC is now only able to boot to the "Windows XP" screen, with "ask for genuine Microsoft software - This copy of Windows is not geniune. You may be a victim of software counterfeiting." in the bottom corner.

Since it never goes any further, my next step will be to do a repair installation of XP, and hope that corrects everything.

Thanks for all of the help again!

John

Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:36 PM
  • XyberJohn,

Let us know if you have any more of the aformentioned problems after your repair instal.

Thanks,

-Derrick

Thursday, June 29, 2006 4:22 PM
  • OK, a nice update on what is happening to me.

The good news first, everything is good in the world again. No more counterfeit software warnings.

This was corrected by running the Windows repair install.

The bad news, it was apparently caused by a bad stick of memory.

When I originally started the repair, it failed at a blue screen... after copying files, but before actually installing. I looked up the stop code... seemed to point to memory.

So, I ran a memory test... yep, problems found... swapped it out, restarted the repair (Since it was far enough along, I couldn't quit now.)

At first, there was the warning message... on the first boot. But it hasn't been back since.

It was just odd, because Windows seemed to run fine otherwise... until recently.

Well, Kingston has new memory on it's way... I'm not being called a pirate anymore.... All is good in the world.

Thanks!

John

Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:20 PM
  • John:

Thats *great* news!

I'm glad it was tracked down - I hope your hardware issue gets resolved easily.

-phil liu

Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:29 PM