none
WinSAT analysis hangs system RRS feed

• Question

• Since yesterday I am experiencing this problem:

Whenever I run any graphics intensive application that uses DirectX my monitor goes blank (no signal) and there is no CPU/Disk Activity. I have to reboot the system manually. Surprisingly upon reboot I see no error log in the event viewer about the same.

I tried running the Windows Experience Index tool but again the System crashed. After rebooting I checked the log and found the last entry to be: winsat\main.cpp:1161: > Running Assessment: graphicsformal ' -wddm'. Thrice this was the case.

Therefore, I ran winsat.exe from the Command prompt with each test explicitly done. This time I encountered the same problem when running the winsat d3d test with the following options: winsat d3d -totalobj 20 -objs C(20) -totaltex 10 -texpobj C(1) -alushader -noalpha -fullscreen -v -time 10

I took these values straight from the technet site: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742128.aspx

I am pretty much at wits end and don’t know what to do next. I have run a memory check for my RAM and that came clean (Windows Memory Diagnostics). Also, I ran a disk check and upgraded to latest drivers. Finally, I also reformatted the system yesterday but the problem is still there. My specs are:

Windows Vista SP1 x32 Ultimate

NVidia Drivers 182.50 (latest)

DirectX 10 (April 2009)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600;

2GB DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz;

ASUS P5K-C (intel P35) Motherboard

Palit (nVidia) GeForce 8800GT 512MB Graphics

320GB SATA II Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Hard Drive

I did use the driver for one or two days before when the problem was not there. Also the system never had this problem before. It only appeared when I installed Colin McRae DiRT two days back and the game crashed the system sometimes but the other games/WEI ran perfect. This was the second time I installed DiRT. First time also I had run into similar (not same) problems.

To conclude I think it is an O.S. / DirectX / Driver conflict or a Power Issue or a faulty hardware!

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:40 AM

Answers

All replies