Experience with counterfeit reporting / replacement kit? What should I be doing? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all, a few weeks back I [stupidly, as it turns out] bought a copy of 7 Ultimate off of eBay, which turned out to be one of the dread fakes with the MSDN Subscritpion product keys mentioned in the sticky. I filled out a counterfeit report and sent in the physical copy; they received it the 17th and I got an email confirming this and saying I'd receive a complimentary replacement kit, which is super, and a relief, except....

What do I need to do, now? It's been awhile since I received that email, the counterfeit report status hasn't changed on the site, and my 30 days of using this installation of Windows 7 are running out and I really need this computer for my job. Is there any way of knowing if the kit was shipped? Should the report status change to something other than "physical evidence received?" EDIT: Actually, I checked again and now the report shows nothing at all under history.

I called and spoke with a rep but he said he had no way of knowing what the status was and I should just wait. Maybe I'm being impatient but it makes me kind of antsy, not knowing if I'm going to have a usable computer real soon, here.

Does anyone have any insight/experience with this? Do I need to buy a new copy? If I do buy a new copy will I need to completely reinstall or can I somehow authenticate my current install with it?

Thanks very much.

Friday, May 27, 2011 3:22 PM

Answers

• You can extend the evaluation period another 30 days.  Others have reported that it does take four to six weeks to get the kit.  Click Start and type 'slmgr -rearm' and hit Enter.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:56 PM
    Answerer