Mediation service will not start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, when I try to start the Mediation service it fails with an error saying the service started and then stopped. Does anyone know how to fix this? I get the following event log errors:

Event ID 25004

Mediation Server service could not be started.

Exception: Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Wmi.UnableToDetectMachineFullyQualifiedDnException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Wmi.UnableToDetectMachineFullyQualifiedDnException' was thrown.

at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Wmi.WmiConsumer.get_MachineDn()

at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Wmi.WmiConsumer.get_Msft_SipMediationServerSetting()

at Microsoft.RTC.MediationServerCore.Configuration.InitializeFromWMI()

at Microsoft.RTC.MediationServerCore.Configuration.Initialize()

at Microsoft.RTC.MediationServerCore.Server.OnStart()

Cause: Internal error or a previous failure.

Event ID 56013

The WMI event provider timer callback has failed to retrieve the settings of a class. Will retry again.

Class name: MSFT_SIPLocalNormalizationRuleData

Retry in 300000 milliseconds

Error Code: 800706BA

Friday, January 30, 2009 4:39 PM

All replies

• Check if by any chance the password of RTCProxyService account have not expired.

Drago

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Hi Simon, Hi Drago :)

if the RTC Service Account on Mediation Server is not expired, please make sure that the password does not contain spaces or maybe any other special signs. I know it is weird behavior, but OCS Service Accounts cant have passwords with spaces. This caused a lot off headaches back in the old OCS R1 beta, RC, RTM,.... times ;)

And it is still the same in R2 :)

Best regards,

Jan

Jan Boguslawski | Consultant IT Infrastructure | MCSE, MCTS OCS | ITaCS Berlin | www.itacs.de
    Friday, January 30, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Thank you both for the pointers. I got it fixed but the cause was somewhat mundane. The DNS servers being used by the Mediation server were offline. Changed this to a different server and it works.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 7:40 PM