turn off computer is missing from my welcome screen RRS feed

• Question

• after uninstalling steadystate i no longer have the turn off computer option on my welcome screen--i saw in another thread how to update registry but i am missing the shutdownwithoutlogon option--what do i do now?
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 7:38 PM

Answers

•  

Hi, thanks for the update. You can follow the steps to modify registry:

1.       Click Start, go to run, type regedit and press Enter.

2.       Locate the following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion Winlogon

3.       Create a new string value, value name is "shutdownwithoutlogon" and value 1.

4.       Exit registry editor.

Regarding the second issue, have you set any restriction on those accounts in Windows SteadyState? It seems that you have not uncheck those restrictions in SteadyState before removing it. You can reinstall SteadyState and uncheck those restrictions and then uninstall it.

If you any other Windows XP system issues, you can post them to the following forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/threads/

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, February 9, 2009 4:51 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:27 AM

All replies

•  

Hi TEALBEAR1967, you can create the entry yourself. If you set the value as 1 then the shutdown button is enabled.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:15 AM
  • any chance of getting step by step instructions?--thank you

I also have had another issue come up--i have 3 computer admin on my computer--when i try to setup java with ie7 as the browser on two of the accounts it tells me they don't have permissions to change browser settings--how do i change this? (step by step please)
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 4:42 AM
  •  

Hi, thanks for the update. You can follow the steps to modify registry:

1.       Click Start, go to run, type regedit and press Enter.

2.       Locate the following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion Winlogon

3.       Create a new string value, value name is "shutdownwithoutlogon" and value 1.

4.       Exit registry editor.

Regarding the second issue, have you set any restriction on those accounts in Windows SteadyState? It seems that you have not uncheck those restrictions in SteadyState before removing it. You can reinstall SteadyState and uncheck those restrictions and then uninstall it.

If you any other Windows XP system issues, you can post them to the following forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/threads/

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, February 9, 2009 4:51 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:27 AM