2 questions - Data Safety and motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I had two questions...

I have a system ready to test: P4 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB Primary HD and 2 x 500GB external USB 2.0 drives.

but my concern is installing the beta, and loading the external drives with data... songs, video, etc and then when upgrading to a RC or final version, will my external drive data be safe? Once I load the drives, short of backing up TONS of data to DVD's there will be no way to remove it all for safety. Is the assumption safe that the only partition that will get updated will be the initial 10GB install/system partition? I plan to use a 120GB PATA primary system drive and add two external 500GB USB2 drives. I'm assuming the terabyte of external drives is extended storage of the primary second drive? I guess the main question is, is there a way to keep all data on the external drives, and keep it safe, so I could even completely replace the Primary drive all together and my data on the externals would remain safe and good? In this vein, if the externals just contains complete files (mp3, video files, etc) not back ups, could you move these drives to other WHS systems, or even just plug them into other Win 2003 server systems?

Second question... anyone know of a motherboard that can run without a VGA card or built in VGA? Does anyone manufacture public purchasable motherboards like in the HP demo system shown that are built to never need VGA? I'd like to be able to build out primary hard drives and create mini ATX headless systems to re-sell as a small business venture. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 6:46 AM

Answers

• From the help file, no worries:)

To upgrade an Evaluation or Beta version of Windows Home Server to a fully licensed version, purchase a retail version of Windows Home Server.  Run Setup and type the product key that comes with the retail DVD. Windows Home Server upgrades from an Evaluation or Beta license to a fully licensed version.

Note

All your Windows Home Server shared folders, files, and settings are saved during the upgrade.

For your MOBO question?  How much do you expect to save with no onboard video?  I mean like I got an ASUS 64 bit MB for $53 bucks.  Onboard video, sound, nic etc.  Just not sure that is a battle worth fighting eh?

Still......Grey

Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:20 PM
  • I wouldn't use Windows Home Server as the only place where I store my important data until the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) version becomes available.  While we haven't found any show stopper bugs, and the intention is to enable people to be able to upgrade from Beta 2 to an RTM version, we can not make any promises that the scenario will work 100% of the time.

As per the beta documentation, please ensure that you have a backup of your data on some other device or PC - do not rely on Windows Home Server Beta 2 as your only place of storage for your important data.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:41 PM

All replies

• I would like to know the answer to Michael's first question as well. I've copied more than 40gb of music over to the "Music" shared folder and I definitely don't want to have to go through that long process again when I install future versions of Home Server.

As to Michael's second question, I'm not so sure if such a thing exists. I think to do a install routine you need a display and K+M combo no matter what. My hunch is that the way HP and other vendors plan to do Home Servers without VGA ports is to image installs to blank hard drives and then they simply pop them in the servers, themselves.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:22 AM
  • From the help file, no worries:)

To upgrade an Evaluation or Beta version of Windows Home Server to a fully licensed version, purchase a retail version of Windows Home Server.  Run Setup and type the product key that comes with the retail DVD. Windows Home Server upgrades from an Evaluation or Beta license to a fully licensed version.

Note

All your Windows Home Server shared folders, files, and settings are saved during the upgrade.

For your MOBO question?  How much do you expect to save with no onboard video?  I mean like I got an ASUS 64 bit MB for $53 bucks.  Onboard video, sound, nic etc.  Just not sure that is a battle worth fighting eh?

Still......Grey

Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:20 PM
  • Thanks for the update about data retention. I've gone over all the docs and forums once, so I probably thought of this questions after I read that and it wasn't an issue in my head yet. I'll have to go read over everything again as I build my first test system today, but before I start migrating data over (and deleting from the source drives!) just to be 100% sure. I have everything on backup drives now, but they are plugged into a workstation that is always on and noisy.

As to the second question, I want to build out these systems to re-sell them. A motherboard without all the integrated peripherals can cost $20 when it's priced in big lots and sold for resale... There seems to be a big demand for small compact cheap headless appliance servers (the router market proves this)... A home web server/ftp box is another example. I remember the days when you bought a motherboard and all it was, was slots. A slot for the processor, slots for ram, slots for vga, nic, audio cards. This type of box doesn't need video or audio, or really for that matter anything but a NIC plug, a row of "X" USB 2.0 ports, and a row of "X" Firewire ports (and maybe eSATA?). What this comes down to is a motherboard company (ASUS?) and a BIOS company (AMI?) to create a motherboard that simply doesn't fail on boot up if a video card isn't installed. Pop in the video card and attach a USB mouse and keyboard for the install, then pop them all out. I don't want a video card in the system I resell, because the minute you do that, you have to support joe user who plugs one in and starts messing with the core system. Ideally, the VGA would be a proprietary sized PCI slot that the end user couldn't even go down to the local computer shop and buy. Just some thoughts...

Saturday, February 24, 2007 6:33 PM
  • I wouldn't use Windows Home Server as the only place where I store my important data until the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) version becomes available.  While we haven't found any show stopper bugs, and the intention is to enable people to be able to upgrade from Beta 2 to an RTM version, we can not make any promises that the scenario will work 100% of the time.

As per the beta documentation, please ensure that you have a backup of your data on some other device or PC - do not rely on Windows Home Server Beta 2 as your only place of storage for your important data.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:41 PM