Another One - Unable to Connect to WHS to complete Restore - Tried to Disconnect my Internet from my Router. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home grown WHS and need to back up a partition from my laptop. I can get to the point during the restore that I am loading my copied drivers from a USB stick. After this loads it claims it cannot connect to my WHS. I am connected to my WHS via cable, but I am not sure if the restore is still trying to use wireless? I tried the following no luck:

1. Disconnecting my Internet from my ActionTec FIOS Router - No Luck

2. A new network cable between my laptop and my router - no luck

3. Tryed 3 more times, reloading drivers

Now what? Thanks!

Monday, May 10, 2010 2:21 AM

All replies

• Take a look at this FAQ . If that doesn't help, consider removing the drive from the laptop and connecting it to some other computer joined to your server. Then on that computer, run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe . This is the same tool the Restore CD runs, just hosted in an operational Windows environment.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:34 AM
  • Issue is its a Sony Z not easy to get to the hard drive if at all. I will check the FAQ in the meantime and post back, thanks.

and

I am showing Intel NICs in my laptop via the device manager, mean anything?

Monday, May 10, 2010 2:58 AM
  • This still isn't working, please tell me that nearly a year of WHS was worth stressing the backups... it wont find the drivers, I suspect because its a 64bit laptop perhaps?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:47 AM
  • You need to provide 32 bit (XP or Windows 2003) drivers for your NIC and possibly also storage drivers. It's a bit of a nuisance but that's the way it is. These drivers should normally be available from the download site of the manufacturer.

Once you got the drivers extract them if necessary, sometimes the dirvers are in a zip archive, sometimes it's a self extracting archive (.exe).  Copy the extracted drivers to a folder named Drivers on a USB thumb drive, then plug the USB drive in the client machine. Now follow the steps in the FAQ Ken pointed out, starting with step 3.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:39 AM
  • I will try again, this evening. Thanks!
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:07 AM
  • Still no luck, I took an empty USB Drive, created a folder called "Drivers" went to Sony's web site and downloaded the exe network drivers for Intel hardware. I used 7zip to extract the exe into the drivers folder and it didn't work for either 32 or 64 bit Windows 7 drivers as well as a set of drivers marked Windows XP. Nothing... Now I just get an error that states "No drivers were found for your device"

Not sure what else I can try if WHS restore cannot use the network drivers, I don't think I can take the hard drive out without risk to the machine.

Went back to trying to use the drivers from the latest backup, these at least pretend to get to the point of trying to search for my home server which doesn't work either even when disconnecting my internet.

Still no restore...

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:14 AM