Urgent: Renew to stay protected? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I just uninstalled the OneCare perpetual beta and installed the Beta (v2.0). The installation completed without problems, but I now have the warning

Urgent

Renew to stay protected

OneCare protection for this PC has ended. Renew your subscription now to help protect your pc and files.

I followed the link to renew, login with my windows live id and get a screen asking to enter payment information with "prepaid PIN information" which I do not have.

I did not see any references in this forum to this exact problem, and I did not see a reference to "activating" this beta.  It just installed.

I would like to test this version as I have Windows home server as my backup engine and several additional computers. 

Note, I went this route, to install this beta because my previous oneCare programs (except for the perpetual beta, I think)had expired. 

What do I do?  Ignore the message?  The software appears to be running, and I am ready to install on additional computers.

Thanks,

Sunday, October 7, 2007 9:22 PM

Answers

•  rockybooth wrote:

I spoke to soon.  I am unable to reinstall the perpetual beta.  After going to

the perpetual beta at
    https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

I am directed to

(removed beta dl URL)

This site does not say "V2" or "perpetual", just "beta"

I have done this now 5 times, I have disabled the firewall service, uninstalled the V2 beta, and tried again...

I get to the installation screen "Installing..." then I get

"Could not downlaod installation files:

An error occurred while downloading required files.....

Error ID: 0017:80040276

I get no hits on searching for help on this error and the help wizard is useless.

I have also created a new LiveID and tried using this ID.  No love...

Help!

As a perpetual beta tester, you have access to the private discussion group via Connect. Please continue this discussion there.

If you need help with the install, the path for support is the same as 1.6 subscribers:

Support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 3:59 PM

All replies

• Rocky, perpetual beta testers have been asked to remain on 1.6. So, please uninstall 2.0 and reinstall 1.6 from Connect.

Perpetual testers will be the first to test the upgrade from 1.6 to 2.0.

Also, check at http://billing.microsoft.com to see the status of your perpetual subscription. If it has expired, the contact information for renewal is on Connect. All discussions for the Perpetual beta should be taken to the private newsgroups.

Finally, the 2.0 beta should not be activated unless you have been given a beta key for 2.0 to test.

-steve

Monday, October 8, 2007 1:39 AM
  • Thanks Steve:

I will do that. And I will look forward to the upgrade based on what I have seen here.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 12:35 AM
  • I spoke to soon.  I am unable to reinstall the perpetual beta.  After going to

the perpetual beta at

I am directed to

(removed beta dl URL)

I have done this now 5 times, I have disabled the firewall service, uninstalled the V2 beta, and tried again...

I get no hits on searching for help on this error and the help wizard is useless.

Help!

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 3:04 AM
  • Every once in awhile things happen where you have a feeling you are being ripped off.  Such is the case with Windows Live OneCare.   Repeatedly during a trial period I asked every way I could to find out if it cost money.  I was directed to subscribe at almost every turn.  How much does it cost?  The most basic of questions.  Finally, after months of trying I'm told it costs $49.95 for a period of time.  When you hold off giving this information to the last minute, it just reeks of being a scam. 

Another question, is this program from Microsoft?  How would one know for sure.  I still don't know and don't know how to find out. 

Does it work?  I'm the last one to ask.  All I know is if I use this I will be asked to uninstall other programs from some rather reputable companies.  I certainly know Microsoft is a legitimate company.  Yet, how do I find out.

Frankly, the size of Microsoft tells me they will automate their responses and do as little communication with real as they can possibly do.  So, that is what I think.  All this blogging stuff is, I presume, put together primarily by your employees to sort of dangle in front of your real customers.  I think it is all a shame.

Stay protected?  Stay protected from what?  Computers and all of this are very complicated for people like me.  For Microsoft, if this really is Microsoft, to be placing all these semantical barriers in front of their customers is something we should all just, I suppose, get used to.

Now you know what I think.   I'm sure Microsoft folk can figure out how to respond to this should they choose.  If they don't, can I truly be surprised?

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 7:34 AM
  •  rockybooth wrote:

I spoke to soon.  I am unable to reinstall the perpetual beta.  After going to

the perpetual beta at

I am directed to

(removed beta dl URL)

Help!

As a perpetual beta tester, you have access to the private discussion group via Connect. Please continue this discussion there.

If you need help with the install, the path for support is the same as 1.6 subscribers:

Support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 3:59 PM
  •  Allen2007 wrote:

Every once in awhile things happen where you have a feeling you are being ripped off.  Such is the case with Windows Live OneCare.   Repeatedly during a trial period I asked every way I could to find out if it cost money.  I was directed to subscribe at almost every turn.  How much does it cost?  The most basic of questions.  Finally, after months of trying I'm told it costs $49.95 for a period of time.  When you hold off giving this information to the last minute, it just reeks of being a scam.

http://onecare.live.com has all of the information about cost for your locale. Since this is your first post in the forums, I can't imagine who you asked about the cost. 

Allen2007 wrote:

Another question, is this program from Microsoft?  How would one know for sure.  I still don't know and don't know how to find out. 

Yes, it is a Microsoft program. If you go to the above URL, there is plenty of information noting that it is a Microsoft program. If you open the Help/About in OneCare it tells you that it is a Microsoft product.

Allen2007 wrote:

Does it work?  I'm the last one to ask.  All I know is if I use this I will be asked to uninstall other programs from some rather reputable companies.  I certainly know Microsoft is a legitimate company.  Yet, how do I find out.

Yes, it works. You will be asked to remove other security software at installation to prevent conflicts. Other vendors will recommend that same when installing their products.

Allen2007 wrote:

Frankly, the size of Microsoft tells me they will automate their responses and do as little communication with real as they can possibly do.  So, that is what I think.  All this blogging stuff is, I presume, put together primarily by your employees to sort of dangle in front of your real customers.  I think it is all a shame.

What kind of communication do you expect?

Allen2007 wrote:
    Stay protected?  Stay protected from what?  Computers and all of this are very complicated for people like me.  For Microsoft, if this really is Microsoft, to be placing all these semantical barriers in front of their customers is something we should all just, I suppose, get used to.

What barriers?

Allen2007 wrote:

Now you know what I think.   I'm sure Microsoft folk can figure out how to respond to this should they choose.  If they don't, can I truly be surprised?

I'm not sure what you need a response to. Note that I do not work for Microsoft, but volunteer to moderate here in the forums.

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 4:08 PM