how do you stop autoupdate from updateing while you are working? RRS feed

• Question

• Im working on homework and BOOM

live update, automatic reboot , No Warning

computer comes back up and 9 page report due thursday iv been working on for three mo.'s gone?

not even an automatatic save

am trying to find out where to change settings so one care will ask permission before just turning off the computer.

am tring to find out what happened to all my files that went missing

oh yes using a bought version from the store on a computer using windows vista (if that helps)

needaknow now. 

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:17 AM

Answers

• OneCare will not automatically reboot without warning, or at least it shouldn't have. When updates are received that require a reboot, it displays a dialog that alerts you of a pending reboot - several hours later and counts down. During that time your network connection is at the highest level. Windows Update will also not reboot without a warning.

If this happened to you, please contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

There is no setting to change the update behavior in OneCare.

-steve

Monday, November 26, 2007 6:47 PM

All replies

• OneCare will not automatically reboot without warning, or at least it shouldn't have. When updates are received that require a reboot, it displays a dialog that alerts you of a pending reboot - several hours later and counts down. During that time your network connection is at the highest level. Windows Update will also not reboot without a warning.

If this happened to you, please contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

There is no setting to change the update behavior in OneCare.

-steve

Monday, November 26, 2007 6:47 PM
  • Though you are very helpful and knowageable, i have no use for a userlessfrindly programe or one that wont allow me to make a desion of what hppens on my computer. hours in advance isnt good enough should i leave to get a cup of coffee and miss the mesage.  I need to return it and get my money back and hope i can succsessfully reinstall my old perscription on this windows vista mess.

oh yes thank you for answering me in a professional and quick mannner

it doesnt bring back my lost files no matter what, not your fault.

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:23 PM
  • The reboot warning actually displays on screen for quite some time. However, I understand your unhappiness. Personally, I would rather see OneCare deliver the update, provide a message that an update is ready and even turn red on me if I choose to ignore it for a bit. Let me approve the upgrade so that I am prepared for the reboot. So, we actually do agree on that point.

If you have a retail box copy and the retailer won't refund you, this site will explain how to obtain a refund from Microsoft if you are in North America - 

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:10 PM
  • I agree entirely with the original poster. Only last night, the auto update process totally screwed up my overnight batch processing jobs on my pc Sad

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:11 AM
  • Ok folks....my auto update came in while I was working too...but all it did was SLOOOOW THIINGSS DOOOWN while it did it's thing. Then, Yes it ASKED me when I was going to do the restart/reboot.....now or later.  It ADVISED me that a reboot was required asap but I could do it later....it ADVISED me that it would not be working at it's best level until I did the reboot.....but I could choose to do it later. Which I did. I finished my work, then did the reboot......

Just don't leave it hanging.....make sure you do the reboot.

!!

Been working with Live One-Care for at least a year and working A-OK!!

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Of, course, Jake_UK does raise a valid point - if he had overnight batch processes configured and OneCare downloaded and installed the update early at night, the countdown may not have been long enough for Jake to get back to the PC to see the pending reboot message before it expired and rebooted the PC. While it is an unusual scenario, it is probably common enough to be a concern - especially if you are impacted by this. Unfortunately, there is no option to download the update and await user interaction to install it.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:59 PM
  •  

needaknow said that it was a "Live update". But are we sure that this was not a "Windows/Microsoft automatic update" happening?

I have had Windows/Microsoft automatic update install updates and reboot my PC overnight when I left it on. In the morning there was a message that Windows/Microsoft automatic update had to reboot my PC. I have had this happen to several PCs where I work. I leave all PCs on Thursday nights just so Windows/Microsoft automatic updates can happen when I want them to.

I agree that when OneCare does updates that require a reboot, it always asks if I want to reboot or not.

BillK

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:35 PM
  • Hi Mr Microsoft,

Just to let you know that I do not always sit in front of my pc, especially after about12pm at night, waiting for messages from the OS.  I happen to leave simulations running all night and there is nothing more irritating to wake up the next day hoping to see the finished results but instead see the initial logon prompt.

Really, what idiot decided that a security update was more important than what I wanted to do with my computer?

The only solution that I have found is to disable the network connection so that Onecare cant get updated.  This is a really *** workaround as my Excel files use embedded links to databases that are on other machines.

Why on earth dont you just include an option that ensures Onecare does not reboot until the user acknowledges it, or even simpler, change the countdown to 24 hours.

Seriously - this is extremely
    ameteurish and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Tom

Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:00 AM
  • Tom, I provide the following options for you to use, if desired, which can allow AU to download and install updates at a scheduled time, but *not* reboot the PC as part of that process.

The first involves editing the registry. Note that editing the registry incorrectly can cause your PC to become unusable.

You edit the registry in XP by going to Start/Run and entering regedit

In Vista, enter regedit in the search box and then right click regedit.exe that appears above and select Run as administrator.

Expand the branches to locate the following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\

Set the DWord Value for NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers to 1

The other option:

In XP, Click Start -> Run

Enter “gpedit.msc” without the quotes

In Vista, enter gpedit.msc in the search box and right click gpedit.msc in the list that appears and select Run ad Administrator.

Go to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative

Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

Here there are a few options:

• Enable Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations
    • Change the settings on No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update installation (Default is 10 minutes)
    • Reboot to take effect or type in "gpupdate /force" in the run line or at a command prompt

-steve

Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:35 AM
  • Sorry to bring this topic back up. But oh my god!! I am screwed. Windows has rebooted my laptop overnight and I lost my 2 weeks of work!! I never turned my laptop off, quiet stupid to not save it, however I blame Microsoft instead!! As stated above, why not change the countdown to 24h/48h.

Dann
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:49 AM
  • I don't know where you get your information. I often find my computer restarted in the morning, with a notice that OneCare has installed updates that required a restart. That, in fact, is why I am trying in vain to get to someone in support. It used to be that you could turn auto update off to keep this from happening. Apparently, that switch has been taken out. I like OneCare, but I HATE THIS FEATURE, and may end up cancelling my subscription this year of MS doesn't finally do something about it.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Again, good story, but it's an MS implementation, so how user-friendly is it going to be? Last night, I checked email at 11 PM, and got on my system again this morning at 7 AM, and got the message that an update had been installed that required a reboot. So maybe the update took place at 2 AM, and the theoretical message was displayed for a while, but who gets up at 3 AM to see whether an update has been installed?  
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Good! So we have a patch that might render our system unstable, to fix a problem with software we are paying for that is supposed to keep our systems stable? Tell me again why I shouldn't shift everything I have to Mac?
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Because they are Microsoft, Dann. They always know better than we do! This has been a running complaint since OneCare started. You used to be able to turn Auto Update off...they got tired of people doing that, I guess, and they knew that we really cared more about their being able to restart our computers on THEIR schedule than saving any pending work we might have been "stupid" enough not to save.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:48 PM
  • I don't know where you get your information. I often find my computer restarted in the morning, with a notice that OneCare has installed updates that required a restart. That, in fact, is why I am trying in vain to get to someone in support. It used to be that you could turn auto update off to keep this from happening. Apparently, that switch has been taken out. I like OneCare, but I HATE THIS FEATURE, and may end up cancelling my subscription this year of MS doesn't finally do something about it.

OneCare does not install updates for Windows. OneCare simply complains if you don't have AU set to download and install updates automatically.
    If you change your AU settings to notify only, you will not be in green status - that's the extent of OneCare's involvement.
    When OneCare itself has a program update (which has not happened in many months and is not likely to happen again since it is an end of life product, fully supported, but no longer being sold or developed), it can require a reboot, which will happen within several hours of the update.
    You can try the following to prevent the reboot after an automatic *Windows* update:

Disable reboot after Windows Update: http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Automatic-Reboot-After-Windows-Update

http://4sysops.com/archives/disable-restart-after-windows-automatic-updates/

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/disable-restart-now/

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Sorry to bring this topic back up. But oh my god!! I am screwed. Windows has rebooted my laptop overnight and I lost my 2 weeks of work!! I never turned my laptop off, quiet stupid to not save it, however I blame Microsoft instead!! As stated above, why not change the countdown to 24h/48h.

Dann

Sorry, but you really should save your work periodically when using a PC - even when you are sitting in front of it. That goes for Macs, too. See the other posts in this PC regarding how to prevent the reboot.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:54 PM