Setting up WHS with software RAID RRS feed

• Question

• I currently use WHS and use 2 x 1tb drives using duplication for certain folders. I want to move it onto RAID possible 2 RAIDS both using 3 disks. However I presume I will need a seperate disk for the system to boot from ???

Once booted I can create the software raids using disk manager BUT I know from my current setup that when you install WHS it crates 20GB system partition and the rest of the drive as storage in which it creates the default shares. I obviously dont want them on here I want then on my RAID and then duplicate the info from one raid to the other.

How is best to set this up ??

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:57 AM

All replies

• That's no problem. Use the Dashboard and under the Hard Drives / Folders tab, run the "Move Folder" Wizard and you can move the default location from your primary disk D Drive to your RAID array.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by SkaUK1 Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:00 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:13 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Oh right I didnt know that so all this time I been using 1 of my existing TB drives as system and D partiton and one as duplicate I could have setup WHS on an 80GB drive and used one of my 1TB drives as main data and the second as Backup ?
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Almost but not quite! The storage requirement (from the "Getting Started" guide) is:

• At least one 160GB (or larger) hard drive for OS and the initial data drive.
    • Additional hard disks may be included to store data.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Philip, the OP appears not to be using Windows Home Server 2011. The generic answer for Windows Home Server V1 is "Don't use software RAID". It requires dynamic disks, and dynamic disks cause problems for Drive Extender.

@OP: you should use hardware (or motherboard) RAID, if you're going to use RAID at all. And if you're going to use RAID, practice the server reinstallation process before something fails, so you'll understand what issues you may face and how to deal with them. Better is to not use RAID.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Oops - I should read more closely! Funny when you have moved on yourself, you assume averyone else has!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:27 PM