one care wont recognize previous back up disc RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ive had one care for two years now and it has worked great up untill about a month ago.  It will not do an express backup, does not recognize the old disc.  I can use a new disc and do a regular backup no problem, but it always says the disc inserted isn't correect, please insert backup labled ................ etc. any ideas?  I haven't changed my settings as far as I know
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:12 PM

All replies

• hmmmm never been on this site before am I in the right section to be posting?  no response yet
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:57 PM
  • You are. It isn't a real time support experience, though. I typically visit one or more times per day and other moderators do the same. This is a customer to customer forum, though. Official support is via here:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Since it appears that OneCare refuses to continue backing up to an existing CD to make an incremental backup and forces you to start a new full backup each time, I would suggest trying one of the following:

a. Contact support per the link above

b. Try the database reset tool -   http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en
    c. Try resetting the backup plan completely:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

d. Try reinstalling OneCare.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:36 PM
  • I've got the same problem had it for about a month also.  I've tried everything suggested by Stephen boots, no change, i've been to onecare support. they , gave me a lot of things to try, they also remotely accessed for almost four hours still no change. there last suggestion was to ignore it , if you find a solution , PLEASE post it
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 8:00 PM
  • paul iliff said:

I've got the same problem had it for about a month also.  I've tried everything suggested by Stephen boots, no change, i've been to onecare support. they , gave me a lot of things to try, they also remotely accessed for almost four hours still no change. there last suggestion was to ignore it , if you find a solution , PLEASE post it

Have you tried using different brand discs? Are you using RW or R discs?

-steve

Monday, January 26, 2009 2:58 PM
  • hi steve thank you for replying, i've tried six different types of disc, ranging from the very cheapest to the dearest i've tried plain cds dvds dvd r  dvdrw all give me the same outcome . onecare backs-up to the disc verifies it when i try to add more files that onecare says need backing up it does not recognize the disc it wrote

paul

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:00 PM
  • Hello, Paul.

About the only things that I can think of that might be the cause of this:

1. Other burning software that is perhaps conflicting in some odd way

2. The OneCare database and/or backup/burning components are broken in some way on your machine.

You can pursue this with support or try the following:

Disable or uninstall any 3rd party burning software, try the backup again. If no change, reinstall your other burning software.

Disable any software that runs to watch the drive status for media. For example, Nero includes a Media Watch application that will read the inserted disc and determine which Nero program to launch - media player, burning software, etc.

Reinstall OneCare after removing OneCare and running the cleanup tool -  

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

-steve

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:53 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have the same trouble. Tried all kinds of different CDs, even bought a new burner. I still cannot perform an incremental backup. As is, the backup service is kind of useless. Please help!

--Mable
    Friday, May 22, 2009 10:32 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have the same trouble. Tried all kinds of different CDs, even bought a new burner. I still cannot perform an incremental backup. As is, the backup service is kind of useless. Please help!

--Mable

Mable, sorry for the delayed reply. Please contact support for help with this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:35 AM