didnt relise my pc has a pirate copy of XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I bought my 1st pc recently and I thought ALL pc's were already loaded with windows 98 or 2000 or xp. I didnt relise you had to buy them, by then I was already connected to the net with my new (re conditioned) pc. It was only yesterday that I noticed the 'update windows' was turned off, I clicked on to allow updates. I then went onto microsoft website and tried to download win media 11 that I noticed my validation key was a counterfit. I did try and get a free windows xp cd from microsoft but because I dont have the windows cd (copy version) i can not continue with my plea with microsoft.

The retailer whom I purchased the pc from have since 'fled' ( I bought 2nd hand from an advertiser)

is there anyway, without paying £92.00 (as i paid £250 for the pc 1 and a 1/2  months ago) that I can get the XP kit from microsoft,,,free.

we all learn from our mistakes!

Friday, July 7, 2006 10:34 PM

Answers

• Bravachick,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 7), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your installation of Office XP Pro is Nongenuine (Office status:114 means nongenuine).

If your computer previously had a genuine installation of XP on it, there would have been a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) affixed to the case, or there would have been a COA on the retail box that a retail copy of XP comes in.  If your purchase of the computer and pirated software included high-quality counterfeit materials, you would have qualified for free replacements from MS.  Unfortunately, neither is the case.

Your options at this point include:

1.  Do nothing.  You computer will continue to function properly and receive security related critical updates if you have Automatic Updates turned on.  You will not be able to get updates from Windows Update manually and you will not be able to download nice-to-have programs from MS downloads.

2.  Purchase a valid copy of XP from a trusted local merchant or other retail location.

3.  Consider participating in the Genuine Windows Offer if you qualify.  See this section of the FAQ:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#Question6Label

4.  Consider an alternative Operating System.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 4:20 PM

All replies

• Bravachick,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, July 8, 2006 3:54 AM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****- (Deleted)
    Windows Product Key Hash: POhcr+xOJqwEbVx+OChF461Qg5g=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-647-3188384-23735
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro
    Download Center code: BGGHBN8
    ID: 47530555-fb7c-49f1-8fed-e65d94c3e102
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    Cache refresh Interval: 2102 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): 14
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): 31
    All disabled: 0
    Reminder reduced: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.526.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings:
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>47530555-fb7c-49f1-8fed-e65d94c3e102</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-9FF26</PKey><PID>55274-647-3188384-23735</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-299502267-1647877149-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System Manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS P4SP-MX ACPI BIOS Revision 1005</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050905******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>BA8E342F0184A053</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17539</Pid></Product><Product GUID="{90190409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Publisher 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>BABFAAD4C4D61B0</Val><Hash>SEishkJimZrBR/u8NT774CIf0yg=</Hash><Pid>54197-640-0698487-16876</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Hi Dan,

Many thanks for replying to my post, my pc states it's running on XP Pro version 2002 service pack 1.

The other info you required, there is no lable anywhere on my tower. I didn't get a CD with the pc when I purchassed it. (I assumed ALL pc's had the windows pre already installed)

I hope this info is correct as I don't understand any of this pc gargon.

Thankyou

Saturday, July 8, 2006 9:02 AM
  • Bravachick,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 7), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your installation of Office XP Pro is Nongenuine (Office status:114 means nongenuine).

If your computer previously had a genuine installation of XP on it, there would have been a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) affixed to the case, or there would have been a COA on the retail box that a retail copy of XP comes in.  If your purchase of the computer and pirated software included high-quality counterfeit materials, you would have qualified for free replacements from MS.  Unfortunately, neither is the case.

Your options at this point include:

1.  Do nothing.  You computer will continue to function properly and receive security related critical updates if you have Automatic Updates turned on.  You will not be able to get updates from Windows Update manually and you will not be able to download nice-to-have programs from MS downloads.

2.  Purchase a valid copy of XP from a trusted local merchant or other retail location.

3.  Consider participating in the Genuine Windows Offer if you qualify.  See this section of the FAQ:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#Question6Label

4.  Consider an alternative Operating System.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 4:20 PM
  • Humm, I do not have a pirate copy and I am now getting the message.  I did make some bios change for accomodate a repeater on my wireless network and then the problem came.

What a problem. I input the PID number that has always been on this laptop and even though I had the authorization software already installed here I am declared a thief?

What is the problem?

Is it a bug as stated?

MS wants $35 to call them and find out?????

No Thieft here,

bob

Saturday, July 8, 2006 4:59 PM
  • Whataboutbob,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a new message in the following section of the forum:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25

(The section of the forum you are in now is just for feedback and comments----problems are supposed to be taken care of in the other section.)

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to lok for?  See here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Sunday, July 9, 2006 2:55 AM