Three WHS Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I hope the Forum can advise on my 3 questions.

1. I have been using WHS via the Acer Aspire easyStore - H340 offering for about the past 6 months. Very pleased with it so far. However, I recently received a critical alert saying that the anti-virus software (McAfee Total Protection) was out of date but when I tried to update I discovered that McAfee have withdrawn all support for the product. I guess that others have had the same alert. What would people recommend as a replacement product. I have seen that Avast have a product. Does anybody have any experience about this product? From doing a bit of internet digging around I see that removing the McAfee product for WHS is not straightforward. Is there an approved step-by-step guide to do this? 
    2. The version of WHS installed on described in the Console as WHS with Power Pack 3 and the individual components are as described below. I see that MS have released a new WHS product called WHS 2011. Is there a simple upgrade to this or is it not worth bothering with.
    3. Finally, I have purchased a separate hard disk to back up the server. Is there an auto backup utility available or is something like Synctoy appropriate to use. 

Thanks Davud

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.3436.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

Monday, July 18, 2011 2:29 PM

Answers

• David

From PP1 release notes:

Home Server Backup

·      You can can now back up and restore your home server shared folders to an external hard drive.

·      When you add a hard drive to your home server, you are given an option to use the hard drive to back up your home server shared folders. When you select this option, your home server appears in the Computers & Backup tab. You can then use Backup Now to back up your shared folders to the hard drive.

·      You can view and restore your home server shared folder backups on the Computers & Backup tab.

Look at this to back up server data:

Backup Server Data

Restoring the server still uses the installation disks.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by David Round Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:50 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:22 PM
  • 1.  Avast for WHS works great in v1.

2.  No upgrade path.  Not worth it.  I'm sticking with v1 on my production box, for now.

3.  The Server backup/restore in v1 is one of the major reasons I'm sticking with v1 on my production box.

I'm actively testing WHS2011 with third part DE replacements, but no easy way for server backup/restore for more than 2TBs, and excessively long client restores is holding back a change.  Perhaps others are also discovering this.  Hence the less than $50 price at Newegg for WHS 2011 OEM. Sounds like a fire sale to me!

PS:  Has anyone found a complete WHS 2011 system for sale in the US market? Hmm, I'm sure there is a story here somewhere!  ZD had one today, but could get no explanation from MS for the price drop.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I hope the Forum can advise on my 3 questions.

1. I have been using WHS via the Acer Aspire easyStore - H340 offering for about the past 6 months. Very pleased with it so far. However, I recently received a critical alert saying that the anti-virus software (McAfee Total Protection) was out of date but when I tried to update I discovered that McAfee have withdrawn all support for the product. I guess that others have had the same alert. What would people recommend as a replacement product. I have seen that Avast have a product. Does anybody have any experience about this product? From doing a bit of internet digging around I see that removing the McAfee product for WHS is not straightforward. Is there an approved step-by-step guide to do this?
    2. The version of WHS installed on described in the Console as WHS with Power Pack 3 and the individual components are as described below. I see that MS have released a new WHS product called WHS 2011. Is there a simple upgrade to this or is it not worth bothering with.
    3. Finally, I have purchased a separate hard disk to back up the server. Is there an auto backup utility available or is something like Synctoy appropriate to use.

Thanks Davud

BullDawg
    Monday, July 18, 2011 10:16 PM

All replies

• David

1. Also look at www.eset.com for AV software - I have no experience of any of the available products.
    2. WHS1 (based on Windows Server 2003) PP3 is the latest of the old 32-bit system. WHS2011 is a much more modern OS, based on Windows Server 2008 R2. The debates still rage (much like XP v W7) over whether it is worth upgrading - mainly over the loss of Drive Extender if that's important to you. WHS2011 is 64-bit only and consequently there is no upgrade path without a complete new installation (if your hardware supports 64-bit). The filing systems are totally different so you will need to copy data from the old to the new.

3. Server backup in PP3 is via the console.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 3:08 PM
  •  

Hi Philip,

Sorry for being dim, but I can't see a facility in the console for backing up the server.

David

Monday, July 18, 2011 3:28 PM
  • David

From PP1 release notes:

Home Server Backup

·      You can can now back up and restore your home server shared folders to an external hard drive.

·      When you add a hard drive to your home server, you are given an option to use the hard drive to back up your home server shared folders. When you select this option, your home server appears in the Computers & Backup tab. You can then use Backup Now to back up your shared folders to the hard drive.

·      You can view and restore your home server shared folder backups on the Computers & Backup tab.

Look at this to back up server data:

Backup Server Data

Restoring the server still uses the installation disks.

Monday, July 18, 2011 4:22 PM
  • 1.  Avast for WHS works great in v1.

2.  No upgrade path.  Not worth it.  I'm sticking with v1 on my production box, for now.

3.  The Server backup/restore in v1 is one of the major reasons I'm sticking with v1 on my production box.

I'm actively testing WHS2011 with third part DE replacements, but no easy way for server backup/restore for more than 2TBs, and excessively long client restores is holding back a change.  Perhaps others are also discovering this.  Hence the less than $50 price at Newegg for WHS 2011 OEM. Sounds like a fire sale to me!

PS:  Has anyone found a complete WHS 2011 system for sale in the US market? Hmm, I'm sure there is a story here somewhere!  ZD had one today, but could get no explanation from MS for the price drop.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I hope the Forum can advise on my 3 questions.

1. I have been using WHS via the Acer Aspire easyStore - H340 offering for about the past 6 months. Very pleased with it so far. However, I recently received a critical alert saying that the anti-virus software (McAfee Total Protection) was out of date but when I tried to update I discovered that McAfee have withdrawn all support for the product. I guess that others have had the same alert. What would people recommend as a replacement product. I have seen that Avast have a product. Does anybody have any experience about this product? From doing a bit of internet digging around I see that removing the McAfee product for WHS is not straightforward. Is there an approved step-by-step guide to do this?
    2. The version of WHS installed on described in the Console as WHS with Power Pack 3 and the individual components are as described below. I see that MS have released a new WHS product called WHS 2011. Is there a simple upgrade to this or is it not worth bothering with.

Thanks Davud

BullDawg
    Monday, July 18, 2011 10:16 PM
  • You might try Microsoft's own Security Essentials- free and very compatible with their own products.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:56 PM
  • You might try Microsoft's own Security Essentials- free and very compatible with their own products.
    Again, no. Not supported on server operating systems.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 22, 2011 1:16 AM
  • You have to do what you are comfortable with, but I have never found a need for AV software on my servers. They are used only to store, not consume data.  (The exception is media which is "consumed" by media streaming software, but the media that lands in the server libraries originates on protected, trusted clients.)
    Friday, July 29, 2011 3:05 PM