convert e-mail to a new entity RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to convert an e-mail to a new entity called project.
    Is there any way to do this.

Thanks for your time
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:21 PM

Answers

• Hi
    In this case as i said, add a button through isv.config on the email acivity and write the javascript code to convert the email to your entity (new_project).
    I would recommend you to do this in C# first and then convert the c# code to javascript using the tool from stunnware.

for crm 3
    http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JSWebService
    or for crm 4
    http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=jswebservice2

Friday, January 15, 2010 8:23 AM
  • 1) Well, since you don't have the luxurie of writing the code your first solution is unfornately out of the way.
    2) Regarding 2nd, you can add the candidate name on the candidate entity? you don't need to include the candidate name on the activity?
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Ok, but here another problem appears, activities does not include the appropiate fields.On the other side I cannot modify activities Form because it is used by another people and have the their reauested form.

I'll post the requests maybe you can help me with another solution.

We want to migrate a recruitment application on CRM, the main request is to import candidates cv from recruitment sites to crm.

The solution that I see is to send a mail from the recruitment site (this is possible) on an e-mail from a queue.From there I have 2 solutions:
    1.to convert the mail to a candidate
    2.to make an activity  regarding the candidate (but the activity should at least contain the candidate name)

Thanks
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:30 AM

All replies

• Hi this is not possible out of the box. you  have to write some custom .net code to convert the fields from email to your custom entity "project".
    You can provide a button on the email entity as "Convert to Project", call the crm webservices(in javascript) and copy your email fields to create a new project entity or write the page in asp.net and call the page from the button.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not completly sure what you mean by "convert an e-mail to a new entity"?

If you want to associate an email with this new project entity all you have to do is to set the "Regarding" Lookup field on the email to project that the email
    needs to be associated with.

Note that you will only be able to do this if the project entity supports activities.

MS CRM does not allow sending emails to custom entities. What this means is that if you add an email field to your project entity, you will not be able to send emails at this email address.

Hope this helps.

Hassan.

Hassan Hussain | http://hassanhussain.wordpress.com/ | http://www.mscrmvirtualusergroup.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Hassan Hussain Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:39 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:39 PM
  • If you want to create a project record when a particular e-mail is created or received in CRM then you can use a workflow.  Otherwise you'll need to take Muhammad's recommendation.

Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Hello,

I would like to make something like "convert to lead/opportunity/case".

Thanks
    Friday, January 15, 2010 8:19 AM
  • Hi
    In this case as i said, add a button through isv.config on the email acivity and write the javascript code to convert the email to your entity (new_project).
    I would recommend you to do this in C# first and then convert the c# code to javascript using the tool from stunnware.

for crm 3
    http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JSWebService
    or for crm 4
    http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=jswebservice2

Friday, January 15, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your answer, is there a way to do this without writing code.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 8:50 AM
  • Hi :)

Well its not available out of the box in CRM 4, so unfornately you have to do some code :)
    Friday, January 15, 2010 10:31 AM
  • Unfortunately I'm not a programmer, can I get the code from somewhere , I think i'll manage after, i think that this is a common request for mscrm.

Thanks
    Friday, January 15, 2010 10:55 AM
  • Another solution is the set regarding to a specific entity but for that i would need a new activity type, and the posibility to select this new activity type.Do you think that this is more realistic :)

Thanks
    Friday, January 15, 2010 10:58 AM
  • yeah, setting the regardingobjectid to your entity is more reason-able and doesn't invovle any coding.
    All you have to do while creating your new entity(check the include activities box) in the create entity form.
    it will include all the activities including the email for this new entity.

Friday, January 15, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Ok, but here another problem appears, activities does not include the appropiate fields.On the other side I cannot modify activities Form because it is used by another people and have the their reauested form.

I'll post the requests maybe you can help me with another solution.

We want to migrate a recruitment application on CRM, the main request is to import candidates cv from recruitment sites to crm.

The solution that I see is to send a mail from the recruitment site (this is possible) on an e-mail from a queue.From there I have 2 solutions:
    1.to convert the mail to a candidate
    2.to make an activity  regarding the candidate (but the activity should at least contain the candidate name)

Thanks
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:30 AM
  • 1) Well, since you don't have the luxurie of writing the code your first solution is unfornately out of the way.
    2) Regarding 2nd, you can add the candidate name on the candidate entity? you don't need to include the candidate name on the activity?
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:50 AM
  • you're right, my mistake

Thanks for your help, I'll follow the second solution

Thanks
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:57 AM