none
missing "media sharing" icon under settings in whs (v1) console RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying on and off since this past summer to configure WHS (with PP3) as a place to store and from which to stream backed-up DVDs. After reading a few marginal library books and online articles, I broke down and bought a copy of Home Server Unleashed which is most helpful. However, I've just noticed that as I'm trying to enable media sharing, the tab named "Media Sharing" does not exist under "Settings" in the Console. It's completely conceivable that during my initial goofing around a few months ago, I somehow did something stupid and inadvertently removed it, but I am at a loss as to what that might've been or how to get it back. Is a reinstall in my future, or is there some less drastic option I might have? As an aside, I have tried both re-booting the server and resetting the console, to no avail. I've also ensured that "C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsoleTab.Media.dll" exists and that "HomeServerConsoleTab.Media.dll" isn't listed in  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsole\BlockedDllList". Anyone aware of a way to invoke the dll and put the Media Sharing icon back into my Console/Settings?

Ken or Olaf - any thoughts other than a non-destructive re-install?

Thanks,

JS

• Edited by jsyv2 Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:38 PM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 6:05 PM

Answers

• Okay, finally figured out where I'd screwed up. I found the we-got-served article on how to jam wmp11 into WHSv1, despite the fact it's unsupported and remembered the registry entry I'd added ("Run regedit and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager"and add the DWORD "UseThirdPartyMediaSharingProvider" set t "1".). Deleting this turned Media Sharing back on in my Settings and now I can take a run at PS3's media server to try and stream movies.

Over and out.

• Marked as answer by jsyv2 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:37 AM

All replies

• a system restore should allow you to keep your data intact, though that might be too destructive for your needs.

not an answer to your question - but if you are planning on doing DLNA streaming to game consoles or tv's PS3media server has worked really well for me.  tversity was also ok.  sorry cant help more.

Ken goes into better detail than i can about restores here - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/3d08a3d4-13bb-4c03-b8a5-6f7ba3678c42
    • Edited by jarhead930 Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Thanks for both suggestions, jh. My intention was to try and stream to the kids' Xbox and it sounds from what I've read that this should be relatively straightforward (but not so easy without the Media Sharing element present. I think I'll just bite the bullet and go for a (hopefully) non-destructive reinstall and pray that no one's PC takes a major dump during the process. Thanks again for the link.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:39 PM
  • Alright, so I have now reinstalled WHS and was surprised to see that even after the initial reinstall (WHS disc with SP1), there is still no Media Sharing icon under Settings in the Console. What gives? I went through the multiple dozens of updates, including PP2 and PP3 and still no Media Sharing Icon, just the Windows Media Center icon. Is contacting MS tech support my only recourse?
    • Edited by jsyv2 Sunday, November 13, 2011 7:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by jsyv2 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by jsyv2 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:37 AM
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Okay, finally figured out where I'd screwed up. I found the we-got-served article on how to jam wmp11 into WHSv1, despite the fact it's unsupported and remembered the registry entry I'd added ("Run regedit and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager"and add the DWORD "UseThirdPartyMediaSharingProvider" set t "1".). Deleting this turned Media Sharing back on in my Settings and now I can take a run at PS3's media server to try and stream movies.

Over and out.

• Marked as answer by jsyv2 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Hi there Thought I'll share my experience also. I did exactly what you did to install WMP11. I indeed ended up with missing "media sharing" icon under settings in whs(v1) console. This does not seem to have impacted my ability to stream from whs to my samsung TV, xbox360 and dreambox800se hd satellite box. I suppose you can change the file sharing settings from WMP11 and hence no need for settings in the console? Cheers. pete.
    Monday, March 12, 2012 10:51 PM