Wipe Backups and Start Over RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me an easy way to get rid of all the backups for a client?  I want to start fresh with the backups. No reformat or reinstall please.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 11:20 PM

Answers

• Im not in front of my WHS at the moment, but I seem to recall that if you remove the computer from the WHS console, then all the backups are also removed. Then all you need to do is readd the computer and start again :-)

Andrew

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:30 AM
  • Andrew is correct, if you remove the client, all backups will be removed... just not directly. Instead you'll have to wait for the next Backup Cleanup (or run one yourself).

If you want to wipe out all backups for all clients... an easier way is to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit v1 and it's add-in which has a delete all backups option.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:50 AM

All replies

• Im not in front of my WHS at the moment, but I seem to recall that if you remove the computer from the WHS console, then all the backups are also removed. Then all you need to do is readd the computer and start again :-)

Andrew

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:30 AM
  • Andrew is correct, if you remove the client, all backups will be removed... just not directly. Instead you'll have to wait for the next Backup Cleanup (or run one yourself).

If you want to wipe out all backups for all clients... an easier way is to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit v1 and it's add-in which has a delete all backups option.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:50 AM
  • Thanks Andrew and Brendan.  Both good suggestions.  Since I had just installed the Kit yesterday it was a chance to try it out. The wipe all  Backups works great. 

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:25 AM
  • Glad we could help :-)

Andrew

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:28 AM
  • I'm Missing something.

I installed the toolkit download on my desktop computer. It goes through the diag's OK but I can't find the addin. I looked in the WHS /share/ software/ add-in folder and no go. I see my other add-ins OK but not that one. Is it on my desktop computer somewhere?

Phil

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:38 AM
  • The Toolkit is kind of odd in it's installation as the add-in doesn’t get automatically installed or even deployed to Software\Add-Ins, in order to install it (after you’ve installed the toolkit) you’ve got two routes on the server:

1. Run the ConnectorTroubleshooter in advanced mode (c:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Toolkit\ConnectorTroubleshooter.exe -a) and then select Server -> Publish Server Add-in to deploy the add-in installer to Software\Add-Ins and then you can install it via the normal router from there.
    2. Execute the installer for the add-in directly: c:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Toolkit\Toolkit.msi
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:57 AM
  • OK I am familiar with the command prompt and I am running as administrator. Vista is not allowing me to change directories. I am stuck in the c:\windows\system32 directory. I can change to my d: drive no problem.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:06 AM
  • OK Got it. I used step 2 above and I now have the toolkit

Thank You

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:29 AM