HP ProLiant blue screen BSOD stop error on reboot after install stage 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I tried installing WHS on my HP ProLiant ML100 G2 (approx. 2-3 years old, P4 3.2GHz, ICH6/7?, 512MB ECC RAM, Samsung 400GB SATA drive, Adaptec SCSI controller with nothing attached), it booted fine from the DVD, formatted the disk and copied files across, but then when it reboots it goes to the text mode setup, past the 'press F6 for additional drivers step' and then it stops at 'Setup is starting Windows'. After a second a blue screen of death comes up, with a generic 'stop error' (by generic I mean no driver or DLL is named as the offender, no 'IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL' or any useful error message like that -- it has 0xblah address numbers, of course, but I don't have them to hand at the moment).

I checked the CRC32 of my DVD, tried re-burning it and re-installing, but the same problem occurs. The computer is back running RedHat Enterprise 4 again now, which it does fine. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks,

Ian.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 9:47 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestions guys, I updated the BIOS, and tried removing the SCSI card, but it had no effect. The problem with loading new drivers using F6 is that I don't have a floppy drive!
    So, I tried changing the SATA to non-AHCI mode in the BIOS, and this worked!
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Get latest drivers for ICH6 from Intel and apply it for the second boot (F6), also any luck to update the BIOS to newer ver? Also good idea to disable that scsi controller.

My best.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:08 PM
  •  abobader wrote:
    Hi,

Get latest drivers for ICH6 from Intel and apply it for the second boot (F6), also any luck to update the BIOS to newer ver? Also good idea to disable that scsi controller.

My best.

Close...but not quite. He should check the BIOS for the latest version but he shouldn't get the driver from Intel, he should get it from HP. Also, there's no reason to remove the SCSI card, if there's nothing on it, it needs no drivers at install.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 6:12 PM
  •  SME wrote:
    abobader wrote:
    Hi,

My best.

Close...but not quite. He should check the BIOS for the latest version but he shouldn't get the driver from Intel, he should get it from HP. Also, there's no reason to remove the SCSI card, if there's nothing on it, it needs no drivers at install.

1 - Intel drivers always up-to-date, HP drivers nothing but Intel if it use the Intel chipset.
    (always good idea to get latest drivers from the maker of the chipset nowdays, the time to stick with "clone maker builders" are over).

That apply to your audio, lan nic, and hard disk controller.

2 - Disable the scsi controller also good idea, even if no hard disk attach to it, to free more motherboard resource and a like.

My best.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 6:33 PM
  •  abobader wrote:
    SME wrote:
    abobader wrote:
    Hi,

My best.

1 - Intel drivers always up-to-date, HP drivers nothing but Intel if it use the Intel chipset.
    (always good idea to get latest drivers from the maker of the chipset nowdays, the time to stick with "clone maker builders" are over).

That apply to your audio, lan nic, and hard disk controller.

2 - Disable the scsi controller also good idea, even if no hard disk attach to it, to free more motherboard resource and a like.

My best.

You don't have to agree but I still say he should use the F6 drivers from HP and the empty SCSI card is not a problem either. While it may free up resources, it wont matter one bit. Wink

Friday, July 20, 2007 6:41 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys, I updated the BIOS, and tried removing the SCSI card, but it had no effect. The problem with loading new drivers using F6 is that I don't have a floppy drive!
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 12:23 PM
  •  IanGrant wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I updated the BIOS, and tried removing the SCSI card, but it had no effect. The problem with loading new drivers using F6 is that I don't have a floppy drive!

After installing WHS and the drivers, you can try to switch it back, for performance. Wink

Glad you got it going...
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:17 PM