Says WHS 2011 Unexpectedly Restarted--But It Didn't RRS feed

• Question

• I have one Client that is driving me nuts trying to get hooked up and properly backed up on a new WHS 2011 setup.

When I try to back the client up---it will run a manual backup for about 10 minutes----Stuck on 1%---then I will get a warning message showing up in the Launchpad and the Dashboard saying that the "Server has unexpectedly restarted"-----but it hasn't----I take a look at the server and it is totally fine----it has not restarted. To check--- I do systeminfo in the CMD prompt--it verifies that the server has not rebooted.

Same client computer backed up just fine with WHS V1----but will not in WHS 2011

I have removed the computer, uninstalled the conector software and rebooted both computer and server----then reinstalled the connector software.

Still no go.

Any ideas why this one won't back up?? It sees the shares just fine-------and 3 other Win 7 machines on my home network hooked to WHS 2011 back up flawlessly.

The Client is a 4 disk RAID 5 running Intel Matrix Manager that came with the chipset on the motherboard. It has worked quite well for three years and again----backed up just fine to my WHS V1. Total volume of that RAID 5 is 750 GB

My Client Backups are all stored on the WHS 2011 at Disk E: which is a 4 Disk RAID 5 using 4 x 2TB drives and the Software RAID 5 built into WHS 2011

Any help appreciated....

John

Lucky Amateur
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:50 AM

All replies

• I first saw the "unexpected restart" alert the morning after I installed SP 1. I reinstalled my WHS 2011 software on the Server and all clients, tested and retested my PSU, memory, CPU (all time-consuming), but the alert returned each morning. I opened a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to the Server and determined the alert seemed to show only during backup of one or another client, and that it was  a false alert generated when the "Backup Status" progress bar stalled but a few minutes at a specific percentage of progress for one or another client (not an actual restart). This worked for me:  

1. My network driver was outdated by a few months, so I updated it just in case it was "choking" communications between the server and clients and generating the false alert. [Note: Windows Update could not find/ update any of my drivers, so I placed them on a USB stick, opened a RDC to the Server, and pointed to the location of my driver(s)].  

2. Still in a RDC, I went to The Server's Device Manager, View, Show Hidden Items, View, Show Hidden Devices, selected Storage volumes shadow copies, and deleted each of the listed, "generic volumes." The Server wanted to restart, but I chose "No." With Hidden Items still in view, I selected Storage and deleted each of the generic volumes listed, but did not allow the OS to restart until removal of the very last entry (please note that volume entries will remain in view even after you remove them, and are reinstalled during reboot).

I rebooted and have not seen the problem for 21-consecutive mornings. Ignoring the false alert is possible (and easy), but working to find a solution that worked for my "poor-man's build" (as a gentleman who "just posts a lot" calls other folks hardware), was highly educational.

[Self Build: WHS 2011 SP 1, Asus P7H55-M LE MB, i3-540 @ 3.06GHz, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1333 PC3 10600, Seagate Barracuda 2T x 2, Antec Sonata II ATX Quiet Super Mini-Tower w/ 450-W PSU].

I almost forgot:  I am NOT a member of The WHS Team - I just do not post a lot. :(

Sunday, September 11, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Brill!  Thanks for this.  Have had this problem for a few months and read your post a while ago but dismissed it as a different issue from mine - stupidly.

Anyway, you were right; I did put up with the (constant) restart messages until it drove me mad.  Actually it was not until I got my server backup sorted, due to the expensive nature of 2TB external drives with esata, and that particular warning disappeared that I decided to sort the restart issue.  I did not update my network driver but started on the shadow and storage generic volumes.  Think you said delete when it is uninstall and there are lots of shadow volumes so if you are the next victim reading this keep at it if you are reading this in anticipation of sorting yours!  Just to put your mind at ease. when you restart your server, if you go back to Device Manager there are a lot of yellow warning triangles and flashing until everything you uninstalled is reinstalled clean.  Also if you open Dashboard you will see lots of red warnings because they come up before the reinstallations.  Similarly your clients will not communicate with the server whilst all this is proceding.  Worry not!  When Device Manager has settled down and all yellow triangles have disappeared restart again. I had to anyway.  I restarted my client too - just in case.

All now good; have done a client backup and no server restart.  When all the warnings came up initially I was glad I had backed up the server this morning just in case!!

Hope this all helps a little.

Mike.

Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:58 PM
  • update.

A day later and the restart messages have recurred.

Also my clients did not backup automatically as I had uninstalled the necessary files.

The logs at the shutdown times seem to indicate either application software protection or powershell issues are causing it.  Not sure what to do!!

Mike.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:48 PM