Problem with backups and server health RRS feed

• Question

• I just last weekend installed WHS and connected my desktop PC. Before even doing one backup, I connected one of my external hard drives to my PC. I may have left it connected overnight, but now I get a backup error.

Logging into the server, I tried to configure backups and it wont even get the info from my PC now to do any backups.

So my question is, with WHS can we configure it to not recognize external drives on clients? I think what is also confusing it is that each drive I plug in is different so it screws up the backups.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:37 PM

All replies

• SlickRick H said:

I just last weekend installed WHS and connected my desktop PC. Before even doing one backup, I connected one of my external hard drives to my PC. I may have left it connected overnight, but now I get a backup error.

Logging into the server, I tried to configure backups and it wont even get the info from my PC now to do any backups.

So my question is, with WHS can we configure it to not recognize external drives on clients? I think what is also confusing it is that each drive I plug in is different so it screws up the backups.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Have you ever successfully backed up your client?  If not, try disconnecting your external drive(s) and run the backup again (reconfigure the backup if necessary).  You could also try running chkdsk /r on each drive on your client (as well as the external drives).
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:31 AM
  • No I hadn't done a backup yet at the time I connected the external drive. At this time, WHS won't let me reconfigure the client, even with no external disk connected.

I'll do a chkdsk when I get home tonight and see what that shows.

Friday, March 13, 2009 7:29 PM