adding an image to a collection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This may be a completely newbie question.  I am trying to add outside images to a collection that I eventually want to show in a tour.  For instance, from http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2012/08/image/ I've grabbed the full resolution http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/images/hs-2012-08-b-full_jpg.jpg which is 2721x2671 pix^2 and 6.45 MB in size.  The JPEG contains all of the appropriate coordinate metadata to correctly place the image in the sky.

I can import the file into WWT using Explore->Open Astronomical Image.  The image shows up in the ribbon at the top, under My Collections, and I can edit its properties.  However when I click on its tab and fly to it, I only see empty (DSS) sky.  No matter how long I wait, the JPEG doesn't show up.  I can switch it to the Foreground or Background layer, and it's the same.  When I mouse over the object's tab in the ribbon, a marker shows up in the WWT main GUI window at the correct coordinates -- but again no image.

What am I doing wrong?

An unrelated question: In a tour that I've created, some of the slides have the constellation boundaries and ecliptic turned on, while others have them turned off.  I want them to be off for the entire tour, but can't seem to bake the settings in for all of the slides.  Is there a trick to this?

Thanks!

--kachun

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:46 AM

Answers

• For images that you want to include in tours, and want registered on the sky, you need to host the images on the internet, and you should tile them. Especially with large images. A very large size image will take a very long time to download (your slide might be over by then) and may not ever work on some graphics cards. If you take that same image and use our image tiling tooklikt, and then host it on-line, using the WTML file that now points to that image to select it for display, then when you create a tour, when the slide that references that particular image is displayed, the user will see it instantly, and when you zoom the zoom will be fluid.

Here is the link to the SDK with the tiling tools.

http://ftp.research.microsoft.com/downloads/be354a6d-4c21-4326-ae36-877324f99036/WWTSDK.msi

As for settings. Settings are per-slide, not per tour. Most people want the flexibility of changing the settings on a slide by slide basis.

If you find that the settings are not what you would like, you can change them by clicking on each slide, showing the start position (with the "Show start position" menu item or clicking on the left "ear" of the slde). Then change the setting you want in the settings or view panel, then right click on the slide and "Set start camera postion".

The start position holds the start postion, time, forground and background images, start fade position, animation start frames, etc.

The end position holds the end position, time, end opacity, end animation, etc. but not settings.

I hope this helps explain.

Jonathan

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:38 PM

All replies

• For images that you want to include in tours, and want registered on the sky, you need to host the images on the internet, and you should tile them. Especially with large images. A very large size image will take a very long time to download (your slide might be over by then) and may not ever work on some graphics cards. If you take that same image and use our image tiling tooklikt, and then host it on-line, using the WTML file that now points to that image to select it for display, then when you create a tour, when the slide that references that particular image is displayed, the user will see it instantly, and when you zoom the zoom will be fluid.

Here is the link to the SDK with the tiling tools.

http://ftp.research.microsoft.com/downloads/be354a6d-4c21-4326-ae36-877324f99036/WWTSDK.msi

As for settings. Settings are per-slide, not per tour. Most people want the flexibility of changing the settings on a slide by slide basis.

If you find that the settings are not what you would like, you can change them by clicking on each slide, showing the start position (with the "Show start position" menu item or clicking on the left "ear" of the slde). Then change the setting you want in the settings or view panel, then right click on the slide and "Set start camera postion".

The start position holds the start postion, time, forground and background images, start fade position, animation start frames, etc.

The end position holds the end position, time, end opacity, end animation, etc. but not settings.

I hope this helps explain.

Jonathan

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the info.  I'll check out the SDK.

--kachun

--kachun

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:26 PM