Install problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have a big problem installing WHS on my machine. The computer simply hangs during the installation at different times without ever completing the installation. I am not able to track any patterns in the way this problem applies.

When I boot on the DVD everything seems fine. But during the “initialization” of the setup procedure the computer occasionally freezes. By “freeze” I mean that I can’t move my mouse any more and basically nothing is happening on the computer.

Sometimes the installation procedure will eventually lead me to the place where the installation wizards begin. But also at this stage the computer freezes occasionally. E.g. it can even happen when I enter the “product key” that the machine suddenly freezes. And at no time my computer has been able to “survive” more than 15% into the formatting of the hard drive.

I have of course wondered if this could be a hardware related issue. Therefore I have completely stripped the machine for all possible peripherals that could interfere. But the problem remains. I have removed the graphic card (and am now using the one integrated on the mother board) – I have replaced the RAM – I have tried with different hard drives – and removed all external peripherals (e.g. USB connected) to the machine. No luck. Unfortunately I have not been able to replace the motherboard – since I don’t have a replacement for that.

But the problem seems to be related to WHS as the machine has been running Windows XP for many years without any sort of stability problems. To ensure that this is related to WHS I have tried to reinstall Window s XP – without any problems whatsoever – and the machine running Windows XP without any instability. Also I have tried to install Linux on the hardware without any problem or instability and I have even installed Windows Server 2003 (which I understand WHS is build on) without any problems. But when I try to install WHS I get the above described problems.

I am now pretty frustrated and don’t know what to do in order to pinpoint what my problems is. Can anyone give me an advice on what to try next?

BR: Ruben

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:51 AM

Answers

• Guys…. Thank you all for your willingness to help. I have solved the problem – but it was caused by something else:

After I got your advice that it might be the media I tried to get my colleagues to burn 2 new DVD’s with 2 different DVD burners. But I got the exact same problems with the new DVD’s. Then I replaced the DVD drive - but still the same problem. At this stage I was convinced that it couldn’t be the media that caused the problem despite that this was a very likely reason for my problems.

Then I thought that maybe by upgrading the BIOS to the newest release could solve my problems. I found the newest release to my motherboard on the Internet and upgraded my machine accordingly. After the upgrade I tried ones more to install WHS – but again; same problem. Computer freezes suddenly.

Then I went into the BIOS setup and looked through all the different settings that could potentially have something to do with this problem. I was looking for all kind of things I could safely disable and still being able to use my machine. At that stage I saw an option called “Hyper-Threading” that was enabled. I was not sure what this technology was doing – but I tried to disable it. And bang: This was what caused my problem. By disabling this parameter everything was working just fine!!!

Amazing – I have spent almost 8 hours in total on this problem – and then this was just caused by a simple BIOS setting. But how should I know?!?

Friday, June 29, 2007 9:45 PM

All replies

• Did you follow the burn instructions?

Make sure you burn the DVD at 1x and "verify" that it was burned correctly. Ive had similar errors before and it turned out to be the DVD itself (cheap cd).

p.s. By "verify" i mean there should be a option in the burning program to verify everything was burned correctly.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:40 PM
  • I had the same problem and after numerous trials with burn speeds, different media, and different DVD drives - finally the only way I got WHS to install was to temporarily install the DVD drive that I used to burn the installation disk into the WHS chassis and use that for the install.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Stephen and Maddog,

Thank you both for your replies. I will try carefully burn a new DVD and see whether this is what causing the issue. Then I will inform you if I succeeded or not. Please allow me a couple of days before I get back with a response.

BR: Ruben

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:40 AM
  • Thanks Stephen as you suggested now able to install WHS

But why??????? never had to do this before on the last Beta.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:49 AM
  • I didn't either on the two previous versions.  But this was the only thing that worked on this image.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:15 PM
  • Guys…. Thank you all for your willingness to help. I have solved the problem – but it was caused by something else:

After I got your advice that it might be the media I tried to get my colleagues to burn 2 new DVD’s with 2 different DVD burners. But I got the exact same problems with the new DVD’s. Then I replaced the DVD drive - but still the same problem. At this stage I was convinced that it couldn’t be the media that caused the problem despite that this was a very likely reason for my problems.

Then I thought that maybe by upgrading the BIOS to the newest release could solve my problems. I found the newest release to my motherboard on the Internet and upgraded my machine accordingly. After the upgrade I tried ones more to install WHS – but again; same problem. Computer freezes suddenly.

Then I went into the BIOS setup and looked through all the different settings that could potentially have something to do with this problem. I was looking for all kind of things I could safely disable and still being able to use my machine. At that stage I saw an option called “Hyper-Threading” that was enabled. I was not sure what this technology was doing – but I tried to disable it. And bang: This was what caused my problem. By disabling this parameter everything was working just fine!!!

Amazing – I have spent almost 8 hours in total on this problem – and then this was just caused by a simple BIOS setting. But how should I know?!?

Friday, June 29, 2007 9:45 PM
  • Hyper-threading is a technology that enhances the performance of some Intel Pentium processors. It enables suitable processors to run more than one thread simultaneously, making it a bit like a twin-core machine.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 11:51 PM