Adding a second server to network RRS feed

• Question

• First post.

Have a HP ex497 WHS and want to add an Acer 342 WHS to the same local network.

Do I need to remove or reinstall the connector software on my laptop?

Or by using Discovery.exe will I be able to to the initial setup on the
    second server? (the naming of the server, setting admin. password, etc.)

In other words, will I use the second server's install disk on my laptop?

Thanks!

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:33 PM

All replies

• I believe discover.exe will work like that for WHS1 but not WHS2011 (it's not available), when you have to remove the connector and reinstall.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:02 PM
  • If your first server up to date with patches, I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to do setup on the second server using Discovery.exe, because the client software will not match the server software. You'll be forced to remove the up to date client software to install the version that came with the Acer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:29 PM
  • When I tested this awhile back, the Connector software would discover both WHS's.  It presented a drop down menu to select which WHS I wanted to connect.  Discovery.exe will start with a window that asks for your password.  Click the back button and you will be presented with the menu which allows you to choose which server you want.  Both servers need to be fully patched with PP3 and other updates after PP3 for the Connector Software to discover both WHS's.

As to the initial setup on the Acer, I'm not quite sure since it does not have a video out.  My setups were done with keyboard and monitor attached. Perhaps you could try with a Remote Desktop Connection?  Or perhaps you will need to uninstall the Connector on your laptop, reinstall from the Acer CD, set it up, let the Acer WHS update everything through PP3 (manually select "Update Now" in the WHS Console until no updates are offered) and then run discovery.exe on your laptop to choose which WHS you want it to connect.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

First post.

Have a HP ex497 WHS and want to add an Acer 342 WHS to the same local network.

Do I need to remove or reinstall the connector software on my laptop?

Or by using Discovery.exe will I be able to to the initial setup on the
    second server? (the naming of the server, setting admin. password, etc.)

In other words, will I use the second server's install disk on my laptop?

Thanks!

BullDawg
    Friday, February 10, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Perhaps you could try with a Remote Desktop Connection?

Until you've completed OOBE, either via discovery.exe or via direct connection to the server, the Administrator account has no password. As a result, you can't connect using Remote Desktop.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:45 PM