none
Automatic Backup Management RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since I built my server one thing has bugged me. The automatic backup management does not work. I have to delete old backups manually. The database is not corrupted as I can restore all 4 PC's connected to it. I have 13 hard drives in the pool for a total of 11.66TB.  Everything else works fine. Almost all of my shares are duplicated, it streams Blu-Ray, DVD's and Music just fine. I do not use the built-in Media Server because I use Twonky. Does anyone have any idea why this feature would not work? It is on 24/7. The event log shows that the cleanup of backup database has begun and 7:59:59 PM and cleanup of backup database has completed at 8:03:18 PM or so every Sunday. However, all of the backups are still there. I would assume that a Monday or Tuesday backup should be deleted on the following Sunday's backup management routine if there are backups from Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and you have the daily amount set to 3. They are still there the next week (and the next month for that matter). I have always done a manual cleanup when I noticed they did not disappear after a week or so after initially waiting a month. Can anyone else shed any light on how long their backup stay before they get deleted or why my backups are not deleting automatically? Thanks for any help.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 2:38 PM

All replies

• There's definitely something wrong with your installation of Windows Home Server; most people have no problem with the regular sunday cleanup purging old backups. I would try running a repair on the backup database (not a manual cleanup). It's possible that there's something wrong with the database even if you can restore selected files and backups.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 1, 2009 2:59 PM
  • I ran the repair.  It said that everything was successful.  Same results Sunday night after cleanup.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:59 AM
  • I ran the repair.  It said that everything was successful.  Same results Sunday night after cleanup.

It could be the fact you installed Twonky (which is unsupported).  You could always try a Server Reinstallation.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:29 AM

It could be the fact you installed Twonky (which is unsupported).  You could always try a Server Reinstallation.

Twonky was not on the system for the first month and it did the same thing.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:07 PM
  • Could you please submit a bug report on Connect? If you haven't already done so you will need to register on Connect and join the windows Home Server Connect program. Include a CAB # from your server (you can collect logs/send logs and get a CAB # using the Windows Home Server toolkit).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:35 PM
  • How long is your backup window, is the server powered on during that time on Sundays (and not sent to sleep with tools like Lights Out if no client is on) and how large is your backup database?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:13 AM
  • 12 PM - 12AM.  12 hour window.  Server is powered on at all times.  The backup database is at 59GB now and started out at 48GB.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:36 PM
  • 12 PM - 12AM.  12 hour window.  Server is powered on at all times.  The backup database is at 59GB now and started out at 48GB.

This should be more than enough.
    I just checked my system here, and it also shows for the two clients recently backed up continuous the last 8 backups in sequence as still available with the common 3/3/3 keeping schedule.
    Just started a manual cleanup to watch the results.
    Now the cleanup task is finished, and shows the last 3 backups from before the cleanup and some older backups.
    So seeing the last up to 10 backups (3 last backups of the previous week plus all from the current week before the Sunday cleanup happens seems to be normal).

If this is not, what you see, you could try to change the numbers of days to keep backups (just in case WHS is stuck with some wrong value in mind, so changing could reset that value) or to delete the entire backup database and start from the scratch.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:16 AM