Slower than usual page opening RRS feed

• Question

• My PC is slower than usual opening pages when I click on my desktop shortcuts, is this a new problem, One Care worked just fine until my last update, Thanks Rcola

Sunday, November 9, 2008 3:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have noticed the same thing, especially when opening msnbc. Briefly turned off both firewall / antivirus and speed was significantly improved. Turned firewall back on and speed was about the same. Turned antivirus back on and it slowed to a crawl. Not sure what to think other than recent update is the cause.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 5:24 PM
  • I'd recommend that you both contact OneCare support to have this investigated as it isn't normal. I have not seen any change in performance on a variety of PCs.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:02 AM
  • Thanks for your reply please let me know if you get help Rcola

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:00 AM
  • I use 3 different PCs two at work one at home I have AT&T DSL Lite at home and uktra at work all 3 PCs are crawling, once the page is opened it proforms all-most to speed, still a bit sluggish

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:05 AM
  • I went to One Care help page and as I clicked on each help link some gave me a choice of going on,ine for help of a FIX link. I used a few Fix links and for the time being I'm backup to speed. You may want to try this and Pass it on, rcola

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:25 AM
  • As I'm reasonably computer literate, I downloaded the Onecare removal tool and ran it as the administrator. Next, I downloaded and ran the onecare on-line scanner and cleaned the registry with the recommended deletions. Lastly, I downloaded and reinstalled onecare. At this time, I see no apparent change in displaying various web pages, including msnbc. The last time I did, it took almost 10 seconds to load. Other pages cnn, msn, ms, etc. all load faster than msnbc, but still sluggish. I'm on AT&T U-verse with 3mbps down / 1mbps up. FYI, I've got a Dell dual core, with 4gb of memory, running Vista Home Premium. If I go into task manager, all my percentages are at 1 or 2%. If I turn off phising, the speed is all but instantious.

I mention this as I recently upgraded from IE7 to IE8 beta. As many of my secure sites had problems with this, I removed the IE8 update and reverted back to IE7. Is it possible this corrupted ie7?? Since it's intregrated into Vista, not sure how to check.

Many thanks!

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:27 PM
  • You seem to know quite a bit more on PCs Than I do, All I did was, open one care, clicked on help in upper right hand corner, clicked on windows onecare help, scrolled down and clicked on help with something else, when new screen opened I clicked on Restart onecare service, Fix it, and this worked for now, Hope this helps. rcola

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:11 PM
  • It is certainly possible that using IE8 beta caused the issue for you.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. Ran it, but "fix" did not display, so I'm assuming it didn't find anything wrong. Currently checking the possiblity of my downloading Internet Explorer 8 Beta and then removing it corrupted something in Vista. Internet Explorer 7 in built-in to Vista, so can't just remove and reinstall. Also my Vista disc is not available as I'm away from home.

Monday, November 10, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Have you tried resetting IE7 to default in the Advanced tab of Options? I don't know that I'd consider "corruption" being the cause with IE8 being uninstalled, though I suspect that is certainly possible. I'd be more inclined that it is a setting or similar. In reading your prior post, I was under the impression that the problem had been resolved. I assume that it hasn't yet? Have you tried turning off OneCare's firewall and virus/spyware protection (not at the same time, initially) to see if it is an issue with OneCare? You mention that you are away from home right now. Any possibility that it is an issue with DNS on the network you are connecting through?

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Hey Steve

Yes, reset IE7 to no avail. As mentioned, removed and reinstalled Onecare to no avail. Turning off Onecare's firewall and virus definately speeded things up, but so did turning IE7's phising off. I'm no expert on DNS, but if I can go to CNN fast, I should be able to get to MSNBC at the same speed relatively speaking. I realize every site is different, but instant display (CNN) versus 10 seconds (MSNBC) everyday of late indicates something is wrong. Also, other apps accessing the web seem to be running normal. I use Outlook to ping my mail server and all is ok there.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but when browsing IE7 freezes intermittently and never times out. When it does, I go to Task Manager and end the IE task. I get the usual "Program is not responding..." and it closes. Vista kicks in to search for solutions and come up with nothing. I'm leaning towards the IE7 corruption from uninstalling IE8, but can't figure out where within MS to go for help. I ran a Vista corruption scan and it came back clean.

Warren

Monday, November 10, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Warren, try here for IE7 help:

Internet Explorer 7 Solution Center

-steve

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:29 AM