Can WHS be run on Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to get the >4GB memory capability, plus I'd like to be able to run other regular applications in the background.  Is Windows Home Server (the application) avaiable as a standalone product - or is it always bundled with the Server 2003 codebase (and can't be pried away from that).  I've already ordered a copy from Provantage to try and use, but I'm willing to drop the $3K for a real honest to goodness server platform - assuming it supports this.  Ball's in your court MS!!!

For the server I'm running the new Tyan S7012 with two W5590 and 72GB (4GB x 18-sticks) of DDR3, and 32TB of RAID-6 - 32-bit seems like a waste on this platform...

My workstation is a Tyan S7025 with two W5590 and 32GB (4GB x 8-sticks), running Win-7 Ultimate.

Thanks!

-Tim

Timmy
    Friday, March 19, 2010 2:21 AM

Answers

• I'd say no its currently based on Server 2003, but you could run WHS in Hyper V on WS2008.
    Friday, March 19, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Windows Home Server is software tied to the Windows Server 2003 codebase, so no, you can't install it on top of another operating system.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 19, 2010 3:22 AM

All replies

• I'd say no its currently based on Server 2003, but you could run WHS in Hyper V on WS2008.
    Friday, March 19, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Windows Home Server is software tied to the Windows Server 2003 codebase, so no, you can't install it on top of another operating system.
    Friday, March 19, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Windows Home Server is a 32 bit operation system so no mater what you do with it you will never break the 4GB memory limit, even if you run it as a VM.

If I had a similar server I would run ESXi on it and run WHS as a VM - though it's against the EULA.  Shame you don't have 84+GB WHS would be kind of neat out a RamDisk.
    --
    Friday, March 19, 2010 10:37 AM

Windows Home Server is a 32 bit operation system so no mater what you do with it you will never break the 4GB memory limit, even if you run it as a VM.

If I had a similar server I would run ESXi on it and run WHS as a VM - though it's against the EULA.  Shame you don't have 84+GB WHS would be kind of neat out a RamDisk.
    --

Windows Home Server is software tied to the Windows Server 2003 codebase, so no, you can't install it on top of another operating system.

I think what Ken is saying is that WHS it totally inseparable from the OS.  This is the heart of what I was after.  Without running WHS as an OS “virtual machine” (which I don’t even know if that is okay under the EULA), I would not be able to run it in or on top of a 64-bit environment.  While discouraging, it’s not a dead-end.

The reality is that WHS is built on a stripped-down Server 2003 platform – running a full 2008-R2-Enterprise OS just give me more toys (DNS, WINS, DHCP servers – the full IIS suite, the ability to run Exchange…).  The drawback (the discouraging part), is that everything is much less polished and automatic and consolidated when using a standalone server with several applications running on it – not to mention absurdly expensive relative to WHS…

That’s why I liked the general idea of WHS – a nice, inexpensive, clean, easily integrated and managed server.  But while “Win-7 may have been my idea” – WHS sure as heck isn’t there yet!! ;-)

Timmy
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:58 AM