Faxing With WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched and found limited information on the subject.

Can the Microsoft Fax Service that's built into Server 2003 be enabled and used without problems on a WHS box?  If so, how are the received and sent faxes viewed?  Is there an interface similar to Widows Fax and Scan with a sent box, in box, preview pane etc?  Do the client machines access the raw files or do they install Microsoft Fax to view the in box, preview pane etc.?

Thanks for any insight.
    Jamie

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:32 AM

All replies

• I've searched and found limited information on the subject.

Can the Microsoft Fax Service that's built into Server 2003 be enabled and used without problems on a WHS box?  If so, how are the received and sent faxes viewed?  Is there an interface similar to Widows Fax and Scan with a sent box, in box, preview pane etc?  Do the client machines access the raw files or do they install Microsoft Fax to view the in box, preview pane etc.?

Thanks for any insight.
    Jamie

Setting up the Fax Service requires logging into the server desktop (which is unsupported).  While you might be able to get it to work with enough tinkering, as you noted, there is no way to send/recieve them without logging into the server desktop (again, unsupported).  Also, setting it up might be a violation of the EULA.  My suggestion would be to find a nice printer/scanner/copier/fax machine that has network capabilities.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:48 AM