A Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server component is using the same account as the instance of SQL Server Reporting Services RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

This error occured at a client upgrade yesterday.

This 3.0 to 40 upgrade already had some problems.

The client decided to install SRS on the CRM application server.

The SQL server was a cluster and a named instance.

Some of you are already familiar with the proceedure that is documented in the installation guide in section 7-58.

We all "Think" the prerequisites are done right and when your upgrade is tightly funded, you make assumptions.

Yes! it's a bad Idea.

Well first off , The CRM virtual server was using CRMAppPool in IIS with the Network service account.  SRS was pointing to the default App pool.

I corrected that and restarted IIS and SRS services.

Then I jumped into htp://localhost/reports and took a look at the data source.

Well....   There was no connection string to the database.

As of now the Web client could list the reports and open them but NOT RUN THEM.

I configured the string to point to :

Datasouce = SQLSERVER\INSTANCE NAME;

I at first set the catalog to the Organization database (Company_MSCRM) but that did not work.

Each time I made a change and restarted the services I ran the SRS data connector installation and I continued to receive the error.

So I reviewed the install logs again and noticed that the connector was trying to setup a connection string which pointed to the MSCRM_Config database.

I set that in my connection string, along with authentication from the domain account that started the SQL services on the cluster.  I set the datasource to impersonate the token for that account.

Restarted the services and ran the installation again.

This time the connector install ran.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SSRS Setup Completed.
    13:56:28|   Info| The installation of Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SSRS Setup has been successfully completed.

It's a beautiful thing.

I could then run the reports.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 1:12 AM

All replies

•  

What is wrong with "The CRM virtual server was using CRMAppPool in IIS with the Network service account.  SRS was pointing to the default App pool."?  And how did you fix it?

I am having exactly the same error. The only thing different is that my SQL server is using default instance and my CRM server and SQL server is on the same box.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

I think i've the same problem as you did you fix yours?

Cheers

Stuart

Thursday, October 2, 2008 1:07 PM
  • I now have my SQL server reporting services connector working and can schedule reports and look at snapshots.

The 1st problem i had was not installing the SQL server reporting services connector - doh! i had not realised it was on the cd (3rd item)

Then 2nd, during this install i had a warning message "A Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server component is using the same account as the instance of SQL Server Reporting Services."

I tried to fix this but failed to find what needed to be changed. I did during this process change the reports and reportsserver wib sites in IIS to use the CRMAppPool rather than the DefaultAppPool - no idea if this made a difference.

3rd, i went into http://localhost/Reports and selected (though this can't be the preferred way) New Data source - i gave this a dummy name and used windows integrated security. Then i "Generated Model" to get a model on the home page (http://localhost/Reports)

Now selecting the model, i can navigate to data sources and find a tree with Home>Company_MSCRM>4.0>MSCRM_Datasource press OK, return to the general area and "regenerate model" - i Select that data source and restart IIS

I can now open the triangle twizzler next to the report and look for snapshots, also i can schedule reports. However i don't think i'm fully done yet....

Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:05 PM