Seeking motherboard advice RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi folks,

My evaluation version is set to expire soon, so I thought it'd be a fine time to upgrade some components in my WHS/media server.  Compusa.com had a killer deal on the E8400, so I grabbed one of those.  I also got a motherboard, the EVGA nForce 650i.  Was this a decent motherboard choice?  Should I consider something else instead, perhaps the Gigabyte EP35-DS3L?  Would the Intel P35 chipset be better than the 650i for WHS purposes?

Sunday, May 11, 2008 10:28 AM

All replies

• Nobody has any wisdom to share?

I suppose I should explain further -- this is going into a water cooled case (hey, I have it, so why not), and they're kind of a pain to change.  So I hope to get more than a couple of years of steady service out of this board.  Which is more future-proof -- will I run into problems with one chipset or the other in dealing with 2TB hard drives?

Monday, May 12, 2008 1:24 AM
  • Watercooling is totally unnecessary for the E8400 CPU.  I have a system with that CPU for which I bought a Xigmatek heatsink/fan combo and I have the fan turned way down.  I may even get rid of the fan completely as it runs so cool.

To be honest that CPU is a waste - Intel will shortly be coming out with the E3000 series which is lower end then the 8000s but still 45 nm so they have lower power consumption and heat.  That would be the ideal CPU although still way more than you need for WHS. 

My only comment on the mobo is to get on with lots of SATA ports - at least 6.

Monday, May 12, 2008 12:28 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I know that watercooling isn't necessary for the E8400, but I already have the rig, and I'm going to water cool the hard drives, so I might as well plumb the CPU as well.

You may also be right that the CPU is more than I need for WHS.  But I do plan to do some transcoding, which may be somewhat CPU intensive.  And it was only $140.  That's good news re other processors, as it might be optimal to buy one of those and transfer the E8400 to my main pc at some point.

How strongly do you feel about the 6 sata ports?  I'm starting to think that as hard drives get bigger, I'll be unlikely to need more than 4.

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:00 PM
  • You could sell that cpu for the price of new cpu/mobo/ram that would easily be powerful enough for WHS.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:13 PM
  • I really don't think that I would go to all the trouble that you're going to for a home server.

But my personal thing with SATA ports is that I would 4 SATA ports and 4 5.25" drive bays in my WHS enclosure. That way I can install mobile racks for easy removal/installation of HDDs for replacement or upgrade as necessary.

Don3580 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I know that watercooling isn't necessary for the E8400, but I already have the rig, and I'm going to water cool the hard drives, so I might as well plumb the CPU as well.

You may also be right that the CPU is more than I need for WHS.  But I do plan to do some transcoding, which may be somewhat CPU intensive.  And it was only $140.  That's good news re other processors, as it might be optimal to buy one of those and transfer the E8400 to my main pc at some point.

How strongly do you feel about the 6 sata ports?  I'm starting to think that as hard drives get bigger, I'll be unlikely to need more than 4.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:06 PM