Seeking Help for Remote Access to TWO Home Servers RRS feed

• Question

• First, the good news:  I have an HP EX495 and an Airport Extreme Base Station and have successfully manually configured the latter for remote access to my server (did the necessary port mappings for ports 80, 443 and 4125).  So far, so good.

I just bought a SECOND EX495 for a friend who wants to have remote access for her files.  So far I am able to provide remote access to EITHER her server OR my server, but not both.  I can only seem to map the ports (80, 443 and 4125) to one or the other.

I would like to be able to allow remote access to BOTH servers, but know how to do so with an Airport Extreme, or even if it's possible to do so.  Obviously, I'd prefer to do so with the Airport Extreme but, if I have to, I'd be willing to purchase a new router if someone can tell me which router will allow me to have remote access to both servers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Sunday, May 9, 2010 2:17 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Remote Access is per default not available for more than one home server on the same Internet connection. There are workarounds - so you could redirect a different incoming port (i.e. 444) on your router to port 443 on that server. In this case you would address the second server like

https://servername.homeserver.com:444

Another option is to change the ports in IIS and arrange the forwarding.

Both options do only allow access to the general tab and the Shared Folders tab.

The 3rd option would be using Remote Desktop after forwarding port 3389 to the second server and changing the Remote Desktop exception in it's Windows Firewall exceptions to allow connections from all networks.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:49 PM
  • I would suggest that your friend's server should be at your friend's house/apartment. If that were the case you would have no problem. :)

Your options are pretty much limited to:

• Change the ports that the Remote Access web site on one server or the other is using to something other than port 80 and 443 and forward those ports to the server. Then you will have to remember to use the correct ports when you connect to the second server. You will be unable to use the Remote Desktop proxy to connect to clients of the second server; port 4125 is fixed.
    • Change your router to forward ports other than 80 and 443 (perhaps 81 and 444) to the second server's ports 80 and 443, and vice versa. Same limitations as above.
    • Install a reverse proxy server, which will detect and redirect requests to the two servers as appropriate. This will typically be a separate machine.
    Your best option is to relocate your friend's server. After that, all three of the above possibilities are unsupported to one degree or another. Unfortunately, Windows Home Server is not designed for a scenario where a single user has multiple servers all of which need remote access simultaneously. Consumer routers don't support the type of redirection required, and Windows Home Server expects to be the only server on the network.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Remote Access is per default not available for more than one home server on the same Internet connection. There are workarounds - so you could redirect a different incoming port (i.e. 444) on your router to port 443 on that server. In this case you would address the second server like

https://servername.homeserver.com:444

Another option is to change the ports in IIS and arrange the forwarding.

Both options do only allow access to the general tab and the Shared Folders tab.

The 3rd option would be using Remote Desktop after forwarding port 3389 to the second server and changing the Remote Desktop exception in it's Windows Firewall exceptions to allow connections from all networks.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:49 PM
  • I would suggest that your friend's server should be at your friend's house/apartment. If that were the case you would have no problem. :)

Your options are pretty much limited to:

• Change the ports that the Remote Access web site on one server or the other is using to something other than port 80 and 443 and forward those ports to the server. Then you will have to remember to use the correct ports when you connect to the second server. You will be unable to use the Remote Desktop proxy to connect to clients of the second server; port 4125 is fixed.
    • Change your router to forward ports other than 80 and 443 (perhaps 81 and 444) to the second server's ports 80 and 443, and vice versa. Same limitations as above.
    • Install a reverse proxy server, which will detect and redirect requests to the two servers as appropriate. This will typically be a separate machine.
    Your best option is to relocate your friend's server. After that, all three of the above possibilities are unsupported to one degree or another. Unfortunately, Windows Home Server is not designed for a scenario where a single user has multiple servers all of which need remote access simultaneously. Consumer routers don't support the type of redirection required, and Windows Home Server expects to be the only server on the network.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:55 PM