Syc Services and EDM support? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I' ve been thinking about what my definition of a rich client app may look like in the future. If EDM was used client side, would it be possible to use Sync Services\SSCE as well in this scenario? Sync Services seems to be geared towards Datasets but I don't see us utilizing these going forward. Does anyone know if this is being planned by any teams in MS? I think that it's a natural scenario that alot of folks may encounter, that is occasionaly connected systems with cached tables being hit via EDM...

Thanks,

Travis

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 7:58 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Friday, April 18, 2008 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Travis,

I just want to clarify one thing about your question.  Sync Services for ADO.NET has absolutely nothing to do with how you are accessing your database from your application.  As such, if you are using EDM you can still use Sync Services for ADO.NET to sync your SSCE database.

I think however, that you are actually suggesting to us that it would be nice if Sync Services for ADO.NET did support EDM.  If that is the case, then yes, I do think you have a very interesting and valid point as this would give us a common conceptual model to the underlying database.  I do however, have to point out that we have no current plans to do this with Sync Services for ADO.NET.  However, since Sync Services for ADO.NET is part of the Microsoft Sync Framework family which is an extensive set of sync runtimes for synchronizing data and files, it would be possible to do this through the Microsoft Sync Framework.  Sync Services for ADO.NET is pertty much just a nice wrapper on top of the Sync Framework which has been optimized to sync datasets between ADO.NET databases.  If you go one level lower, through the Microsoft Sync Framework you could easily create yourown EDM Provider that enabled synchronization between databases through your data model.  Realistically, I do agree with you that this does make a fair bit of sense especially if you can abstract the mapping away through EDM.  Once again, I can not say that we have any current plans to do this, however given that mapping of disparate datasources is a common thing people will need to do, I do think it makes a fair bit of sense.

I hope that helps.

Liam

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:47 PM
  •  

Hi Liam,

Thanks for your response. I was seeing the tie in between EDM and Sync Services being expressed possibly within the EDMs SSDL in some way. To me tables flagged for synchronization are lower, physical level design details which should be expressible directly within the EDM modeling tools. This brings up a larger point that various, seemingly related DSLs are starting to appear within VS. Examples

Class Designer

Linq to SQL Designer

The EDM Design surface

The Service Factory DSL

The Sync Designer

All address different architectural perspectives yet the opportunity (in my mind at least) would be to represent a more unified view. Easily being able to decipher the relationship between say EDM Entity and DataContract in one view may prove useful. And along the same lines of thinking, being able to specify your data storage mapping details  and which aspects are to be synchronized in one place (SSDL) would be cool. Please forgive the rambling, this feedeback probably should be sent to some other product group. Thanks for your response though!

Travis

Monday, April 21, 2008 9:22 PM