none
Make Sync Toy notify you if both files have changes RRS feed

• Question

• Great as Sync Toy is it does not notify you if you have modified a file in both the left and right panes before synchronizing. Briefcase always let you know you had done this and let you decide what to do about it. Is there any chance sync toy could be updated to do something similar? With a 'decide which way to update or cancel' screen or similar?
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:32 PM

All replies

• You can use the preview fuction for this purpose. Befor doing the syncing action, you can preview the changes firstly, and you can choose if you do this sync by select/unselect the changed files list in preview page.

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Friday, August 27, 2010 2:38 AM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:38 AM
  • You can use the preview fuction for this purpose. Befor doing the syncing action, you can preview the changes firstly, and you can choose if you do this sync by select/unselect the changed files list in preview page.

Thanks,

Ping

I am well aware of that functionality, but thanks for mentioning it here as it permits me to clarify my request.

IMHO, as a human being, I think my chance of eyeballing a long list of files names and change dates and spotting the one or two that indicate a potential clash is about zero! LOL

I used to use briefcase until Windows 7. Briefcase is unusable under Windows 7. It is tooooo slow if you are syncing more than a few files. I don't know why. Therefore I switched to sync toy. I need to keep my laptop in sync with my desktop and although I try very hard to ensure I always sync before leaving, as it were, I occasionally forget and end up editing some file on both! Because briefcase effectively refused to sync these files I was able easily to ensure I checked both, made the necessary changes and then told briefcase which way to sync them now.

So what I am asking for is an alert at the end of a sync that shows you a list of files not synced due to the fact they have both been modified.

Friday, August 27, 2010 8:15 AM
  • I agree a long list is not nice, but in either way, the not synced file list should suit for samll number of files scenarios.

For the alert wise, we can consider enrich its function if we have future version of SyncToy.

Thanks,

Ping

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:08 AM
  • For the alert wise, we can consider enrich its function if we have future version of SyncToy.

That is what I am asking for - Either notification by default, or as an option.

For example in option - have two tick boxes. Notify if both files modified and Do not update if both files modified

If both were ticked then at the end of the sync those files would be listed in the error report. In preview mode those files would be highlighted in some way - red perhaps?

Friday, August 27, 2010 12:23 PM